Buying new in box from private party - How do I be sure it is ok?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LoneRider, Aug 14, 2010.

1. LoneRider macrumors member

So I am ready to pull the trigger on a NIB MacBook Pro. $250 below list. Seller has provided me with the serial number and it shows as unregistered on Apple website. I have checked with the Police to make sure it has not been reported stolen, and will have a bill of sale from the seller.

He does NOT have the original receipt. I plan on opening it to confirm contents, serial number etc before handing over the cash, but was curious about the warranty. I will immediately register it with Apple, but should there be any problems, will a bill of sale be enough?

I have heard changing owner info on a already registered computer is not a problem, but what about the initial registration without having an Apple Store or other Retail receipt to back it up?

Has anyone done this or have experience with such cases? I see lots of Macs advertised on craigslist and ebay as new in box, full warranty, etc...

Just want to make sure the deal is really as good as it appears. Any info is appreciated!

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Odds are it is stolen or a scam of some kind.

He doesn't have a receipt from Apple? Just because neither apple nor the police have a record of the serial number proves nothing. The original owner might not know the serial number or has not reported stolen yet.

bill of sale from a 3rd party means nothing to apple; the MBP could have been sold over a year ago.