Buying new iPhone, but leaving US in 4 months (moving to Europe)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by leptons, Feb 16, 2016.

1. leptons macrumors newbie

I'm currently using a 2+ year old iPhone 5C with a freshly cracked screen. I was planning on having it last me until June of this year when I move to Eastern France/Geneva area -- but now with the cracks and chunks of glass missing I don't think that's feasible.

What is my best option here? I'm currently with Verizon but of course I can't be in Europe. Should I just buy a new unlocked iPhone, use Verizon for the next 4 months, and connect it with another carrier for a year once I've moved? Should I have any problems connecting an unlocked iPhone there?

Thanks!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

A SIM-free version would be unlocked and work with basically any carrier.

3. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It will also be cheaper in the USA.

4. RickyB macrumors regular

Not necessarily. Just looking at the Verizon Website, an iPhone 5S costs $449, whilst on Orange France it costs €399.90 ($445.28). Call plans are considerably cheaper in France - Verizon charges €30 per month for 1Gb data whilst Orange France charges €14.99. Ok, Verizon gives unlimited minutes and orange doesn't, but it's still,less than half price.

Have you looked into getting your 5C fixed? I may be wrong, but I think it will work on son-US network without unlocking.

One other thing to check - if you're in Switzerland as well, a Swiss SIM might be cheaper - and be aware of roaming charges.

5. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Be sure to check the LTE coverage on Apple's website, as different versions work with different LTE frequencies in different countries.

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I was responding to the member who suggested getting an unlocked SIM-free iPhone which is cheaper in the US.

7. RickyB macrumors regular

Fair enough, although for unlocked iPhones, the US isn't necessarily the cheapest. Looking at the Apple Store, the iPhone 5s is $450 plus tax SIM-free. In the UK, you can get an unlocked 5s from giffgaff (no contract) for £269 ($384.15) including tax.

Not sure if there is something similar in France, but it's worth looking into.

Of course there may also be a cheaper way to get it in the states.

8. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That's interesting, giffgaff are also selling the 6S for £40 cheaper than Apple which is good but not as good as the £110 they have knocked off the 5S.

9. RickyB macrumors regular

That's where I got my iPhone 6. For anyone in the UK giffgaff are great!

10. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

.....except in the City of London where they suck :p