Buying new MacBook, won't ever use SuperDrive--should I look at the Air?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PDFierro, Oct 21, 2009.

1. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Hey guys,... you might remember me posting here back in September. Looking to buy my first Mac still. I was all set to buy the white MacBook last month, but I heard rumors of a redesign/spec bump coming, so I waited it out.

Well now the new MacBook is out. I really do, as of now, prefer the white over the aluminum on the Macs, but always room to change my mind on that.

But I won't ever use the DVD drive on the MacBook. I suppose since it's slot-loading, I won't even notice it's there other than the added weight. I remember reading a survey that said most Mac users don't even use the drive. What about you? Anybody else?

I am taking a look at the Air too. I could be willing to spend extra money for nicer design (I still have to warm up to the aluminum/black keyboard tho) and lighter weight. I do wish the Air offered more storage though, something to think about, but not a huge deal I guess.

What about you? Will I end up forgetting the SuperDrive is there? Also, I know the Air is due for a refresh towards the start of next year.

Thanks.

2. joehahn macrumors regular

On occasion I find myself very glad that the drive is there (I'm a music student and the library here has thousands of CD's that i can copy) and for other things such as installing new software, watching movies on the go, and for even burning a dvd here and there. If you really can't see yourself doing any of those things, then yea of course you should get the air. For ultra portable computing it really can't be beat. If storage is your only problem with buying it, there are a few really good portable hard drives that will hold any and everything you could possibly want. If you're looking for a "future proof" computer then you're gonna want to look into the pro line though.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Since you are not a big fan of the aluminium, I'd say the only advantage the MBA has over the macbook is that it weighs less. I don't know about the quality of the displays on the macbook so can't compare. But if it was me I'd get the macbook, it's considerably cheaper, more powerful, more expandable, and has better battery life. It also isn't actually that heavy.

4. aleni macrumors 68020

i don't use superdrive, other than weight, i do care too about thinness. so i bought a macbook air even though it's less powerful than the macbook pro 13".

if you don't care about thinness then get a macbook pro 13", remove the superdrive and change the HD to SSD. it will be lighter.

i removed the superdrive from my 17" unibody, not it makes a dramatic improvement, but it feels slightly lighter and noticeable.