Buying older Macbooks with old versions of OS X?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RobbyIdol, Nov 4, 2014.

1. RobbyIdol macrumors regular

If I was interested in buying a black Macbook laptop with Tiger 10.4 installed on it, where would I look online? I know there are sites that sell refurbished older Macbooks, but are there places that also sell them without more recent versions of OS X pre-installed?

Call me a masochist, but part of me wants that old OS X Tiger interface again :p :apple: It's not my main machine by any stretch, so it's more of a nostalgia/luxury purchase really.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I would suggest looking for a 2006 or mid-2007 Macbook that is sold with its restore discs so that you can restore it to Tiger with. I do strongly recommend not using Intell Tiger for daily use. It is very insecure.

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

Yep, you could try finding one on eBay... That's usually where you could find older macbooks.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Look for a 2010 Macbook model 7,1. on eBay. I routinely get them for $300-400 depending on condition. I upgrade memory to 8GB and replace the HDD with an SSD and then install Yosemite from a USB stick. Very good machines for relatively lighter duty tasks such as mail and Safari.

Upgrade parts should be on sale on Black Friday and Cyber Monday in a couple of weeks.

5. RobbyIdol thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip, but that misses my point entirely. I already own updated modern computers to use for work and such. This is purely a purchase of an out-dated Macbook with outdated OS software for the simple joy of using it as such. I'm not looking to buy something old and fix it up into something new, if that makes sense.

Thanks though. I'll just check eBay here and there.

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Different folks, different strokes.

For me a fun Mac purchase would be a loaded 5K Retina iMac. ;)