Buying question on new 15 rMBP SSD, and any other advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jcclx1, Mar 21, 2013.

1. jcclx1 macrumors newbie

I currently have a early 11' 13" MBP 2.3 with 4GB ram and 320 HD. Looking to uprgade to a 15" rMBP. Planning on getting base and upgrading RAM to 16. I am in no way going to be using CS6, or big time video editing. Just photo like Apature, a little video, and Parallels. And of course web browsing, and MS Office. Do I need 512, or will 256, be fine? Any other suggestions, won't be gaming, just like the bigger beautiful screen, and size(being so thin). Thx in advance.

Oh one more thing, still running Snow Leopard, should I upgrade to ML before putting it on Ebay?

2. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

With what you said.. I think you should be getting the 512 storage over the 256 and maybe skip on the 16gb RAM upgrade since you wont be doing many extensive tasks.

However 16ram is good since you cant upgrade it later?

3. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Since the rMBP is not updateable after purchase, I would suggest that you get the maximum configuration you can afford.
    I have the 512GB SSD and I find it ideal. 16GB is also great to have.

4. jcclx1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Only thing is I have had my 13' cMBP for 2 years and mainly only have music on it, and am using 66GB out of 320. Please keep suggesting coming with opinion and advice. And on selling this question on adding ML to increase value. Also it is in mint condtiton, and by coconut has 90% battery capacity, with only 190 battery load cycles. Also has 1 year of Apple Care left. After looking at Ebay's completed listings, value seems to be around 700 Have box manuals, and everything, price to list for?

5. B..., Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

I think 256 GB for you should be fine. You can always use OWC to upgrade the SSD after (priceswill go down). Although 16 GB is "future proofing", I think it is overkill and I will only get a computer with 8 GB soldered in. Any more is too much for me. Go for base model: 2.4 GHz, 8, 256 for 2200 USD. But think is you really do need 16 GB.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

16gb ram's usefulness cannot be overstated. I frequently use more than 8 when using the tasks you describe. And if you're gonna be keeping it a few years, 16gb is a no-brainer.