Buying Snow leopard avice – should I wait for bug fixes?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BENI, Aug 13, 2009.

1. BENI macrumors regular

BENI

I am not really sure whether, like vista or XP (I havent got a new mac OS before) was when it came out with loads of bugs, whether it wouldn't be better to wait for apple to fix these possible bugs before buying it as I am very happy with leopard - the only thing is I am eligable (cos of the time that I got my mac - after 8th of june 09) to get Snow leo for just £6.09. Will that offer run out? after a few weeks?

thanks for your help.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Oh, get it! It's only £6 and you can install it and upgrade it later if you're worried about potential bugs.

3. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

I like the Idea of Getting it and then installing it later!

4. AMessy macrumors member

I would just get it now with the "up to date" program and if you decide to install it later, thats up to you.

The forums will be so full of post the day its realeased you'll know pretty quick if there is anything major to watch for.

5. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

I am quite new to forums of any kind so thanks for the tip of whatching out on the day - a good plan.:apple:

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Why the multiple threads for this topic?

Beni's other thread

Be patient with threads- it takes a little while for things to be answered;)

I think there are always little things that "bug" people or have issues- it just depends on how many programs and other things you use. The fewer non-apple programs you use the fewer issues you will likely have on release day- but it doesn't mean there are not problems- one never can tell- I always wait one to to revisions just to be safe.

8. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

I don't get the "eligible" offer thing. It's just that you can buy an install disk that ONLY works for upgrading from leopard for $30, right? Therefore you are "eligible" for the cheap disk? Or is it a special deal for people who bought macs recently, like a free win7 upgrade for people who recently bought pc's? But never mind 10.6, i'm running a top secret build 10.9 "Lion".

Also: why didn't they name iphone OS something like "tabby"?

9. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

I don't get the "eligible" offer thing. It's just that you can buy an install disk that ONLY works for upgrading from leopard for $30, right? Therefore you are "eligible" for the cheap disk? Or is it a special deal for people who bought macs recently, like a free win7 upgrade for people who recently bought pc's? But never mind 10.6, i'm running a top secret build 10.9 "Lion".

Also: why didn't they name iphone OS something like "tabby", or "ocelot"?

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Those who bought a new computer after Snow Leopard was annouced in June are eligible for a $9.95 Up-To-Date program where they get an upgrade-only disk (i.e. it requires Leopard installed on their computer to work, if prior programs are any indication). Those who bought before that but have Leopard are eligible for the $29 Upgrade disk, which may or may not have the same requirement of Leopard installed (personally hoping it doesn't, and expecting so, but waiting to see). Those who have a compatible Mac but do not have Leopard currently are not eligible for either and will need to buy the Mac Box Set for $169.

jW

11. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Totally unnecessary to wait. Apple releases easy to update revisions of their OS all the time. That's why you go with Apple in the first place.

12. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

I am sorry about the multiple thread thing I just got confused and thought I hadn't made the new thread when I realized I could to just stick it on the end of the other. I am learning about how to do stuff on any forum for the first time so, sorry - it really was unintentional.

RE: bugs
    unfortunately I do use allot of "3rd party" apps so that might be a problem. What do you do when you switch over? do I just have to download the Snow leopard releases for all my nonapple apps or will the latest versions (at the time of change over) be compatable with both?

13. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

What's lion? - I would be interested to know if you are allowed to tell me (or is it classified information?;))

14. Beaverfish macrumors regular

Lol I really hope you not being serious

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That's soooo old. I'm running OS X 11 "Snow Elephant" :D

16. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

ha ha ha.
    read my post again and see if you think I am serious. good luck figuring it out.

17. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

NO big deal- Just harassin- I like to do that to people- family trait

Not a huge deal ont he 3rd party apps- especially if they are mainstream apps- it just seems there are sometimes issues with some apps that may not have been used by many during the beta testing-

But as others have said- usually apple updates are really really stable- but like I said before there are sometimes issues that show their ugly face.

18. paduck macrumors 6502

Given that Snow Leopard is basically being marketed as a more stable Leopard, I don't see why you would hold back on upgrading. It isn't like moving from Tiger to Leopard where there were lots of new v1.0 features. Snow Leopard is Leopard v2.0. It is the bug fix... ;)

19. Vogue Harper macrumors 6502

Vogue Harper

Don't you mean OS XI Sea Cucumber?:D

20. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

no way that the superior talented people allow any bugs in their new OS :rolleyes: i say, bite the bullet and get it, if you have to many issues, you can always go back to 10.5.X

21. PoptheKing macrumors newbie

I talked ( I actually talked not email by phone ) to Chris Pirillo about this and he said that ( same thing as me ) he'll get it probably on the first day and maybe upgrade later ! :apple: :rolleyes: :apple:

22. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

Has apple given an actual release date for Snow Leopard yet?

I know they have said "september" but that's a bit vague. why would they not tell us when it is?

23. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No. Apple usually doesn't tell about their plans and it also depends when it's ready. "Golden Master" (Build 10A432) was sent to developers yesterday and it's rumored to be the final build. Also there was rumor of late August release

24. BENI thread starter macrumors regular

BENI

Ooo! late august - Goodie Goodie! hehehe:D

there is a "notify me" thing on the apple site - would that be the quickest way of knowing?

25. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Just check MacRumors front page by time to time. Notify me is quick way too but I'm not sure how well it works (some news like new 17" MBP came 4 months late for my e-mail)