Buying the latest 2013 rMBP on Craigslist... any risk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andyACEcandy, Dec 4, 2013.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

If I buy one on Craigslist with original box and serial numbers are all good, is there any risk?

Say it runs into the freezing issue that's been popping up with these... would Apple tell me "tough luck" because I don't have a receipt?

Or because it's still under warranty, they'd still be able to help, right?

2. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

I believe the freezing issue got fixed with a firmware release.

I wouldn't buy anything on Craigslist though, if you have to, bring your friends and meet the seller in a public place.

3. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

There are always risks, but I have had many positive transactions, both buying and selling, through Craigslist.

Suggestions:

Have him send you pictures of computer, boxes, and sales receipt. Red flag if he doesn't have or will not send you the receipt as he can always cover up his name & address with sticky note paper.

Ask if he has an eBay account; if so ask for his eBay name so you can see how many positive feedback's he has.

What's the asking price? is it fair: avoid an offer that's too good to be true.

Find out why he is selling it; if he's legit, he should have a reasonable reason.

Talk on the phone with him; you can sometimes get an idea about someone by talking to them.

See if he can show it to first, meet in a public place like a diner or Starbucks would be safest for both of you most folks will not want a stranger coming in their home.

Let us know how it turns out.

4. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

He says he chunked the box because he thought he was gonna keep it. But he has all the shipping receipt from Apple and all the manuals and charger of course. Just not the box... Says he's selling now because he needs the money (typical response for anyone on Craigslist)

I have a serial number and confirmed it's still under warranty and everything. and I can even get extended applecare.

The only concern is the price. He's agreed to sell it to me for $950 which seems like a ridiculously good deal.

Okay so this is the latest October 2013 rMBP 13"
    2.6 GHz i5
    8gb ram
    512 gb pcie flash storage

5. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

What all should I check in person to help confirm things on the macbook itself?

6. qtx43 macrumors 6502a

So you're trying to convince yourself it's not stolen.

7. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

You can ask to match up his driver's license with the name on the receipt. If he won't offer that up, or they don't match, don't go through with the deal. I've sold 12-15 Macs on Craigslist, and if someone asked me to do that, I wouldn't hesitate.

8. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol I guess? If it were stolen, does that screw me somehow? The price is the only weird part... Seems too low. The same specs run $1799 new right now on Apple.com

9. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Once you see his receipt, you'll know what he paid; he might not have paid that much.

----------

You should have him email pictures of receipt, license, and serial number before you meet him in person; if something doesn't match, no sense in meeting him.

Additionally, have him send you a picture of the screen showing the system information.

10. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, he sent me pic of receipt and it matching his name on his license. He also sent a pic of the system information and the bottom of the rMBP that has all serial numbers aligned.

I keep pressing him but I don't want to be like "you know this is a really low price right?" because he may come to his senses and jack up the price! lol

He paid $1599 for it... probably some Black Friday deal because I'm on the website now and this newest edition same specs is $1799.

Says because he doesn't have the box, it's been a pain trying to sell. Says he only had a couple people offer $900 and a couple people offering Xbox One and PS4s plus cash haha.

I think he just needs the cash? I really don't see any red flags other than this $950 price that seems absurdly low.

11. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

So set up a meeting in a public place, fire it up, and go home with a nice rMBP.

12. sososowhat macrumors 6502

I bought an MBA on Craigslist last week. Perfectly legit. The price on this is suspicious though. I'd meet him in a public place and if he's got no problem with you taking a photo of him & his ID, then it's likely not stolen. It is illegal to buy stolen property (& people spend years in jail for doing so knowingly (see this excellent article: http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/11/26/mandatory-minimums-end-lives.)) or this ACLU report on which the article's based: https://www.aclu.org/files/assets/111813-lwop-complete-report.pdf

13. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well this freaks me out haha. This guy seems legit... I have no idea why he's agreed for this price but I'm also worried he's going to get higher offers as time passes

14. mhdena macrumors 6502

Something real fishy about this deal.

He bought it less than a week ago for $1600 and now wants to sell it to lose $750 (including tax)?

He could get a refund or at worse store credit for the full amount and sell that for close to the full amount.

Saying he doesn't have the box is likely BS as his trash pickup day probaly hasn't even come yet:eek:

15. red321red321 macrumors regular

16. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

He claims his mom got it for him, and he doesn't need it. (apparently his mom buys the kids random shi* all the time) The receipt he showed me had a last name and his last name matching up. Said he's a PC guy and couldn't get used to the MacBook. I asked him why his mom doesn't just return it and he said it's past the date to return, he threw away the box, and he doesn't want to bother her with it (guess he'd rather have the cash lol spoiled)

Now he's saying he's getting a lot of offers at around $1,100... so I think my chances of getting this at $950 has run out haha

17. sabbyp macrumors regular

if you're happy with purchasing stolen goods then yeah it's a great deal.

18. looking4anotebo macrumors 6502

No, that's not the case if you look around. I still have it (post firmware update) on my 2-week old 256/8gb 13" model.

19. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Not sure how it could be stolen unless he stole it from a relative, which could be possible, but unlikely, as the last name on the receipt and his last name match.

20. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this guy sounds legit. Have talked to him on phone... he's explained himself and all his reasoning is legitimate. Regarding the price, I pressed him a bit more on it and really it just comes down to his mom getting it for him, him not needing it and would rather have cash. But he knows he won't be able to get the max value from it without the box. (at this point, he's realizing he is getting offers at $1100 so I'm sure his mind is changing).

Now I'm trying to get him back to $1000 or less... if I can show him the cash, I think I need to jump on this before the weekend comes and he gets a ton of offers.

21. GoingDark macrumors 6502

This guy has given you a copy of the receipt, the serial #, a copy of his DRIVER'S LICENSE (which is something I would show to someone in person but would never send to a stranger via email) and people still think it's stolen?

The rules of Craigslist are simple, always deal locally and in cash (NEVER deal with e-transfer and/or shipping), and always meet in a public place.

Everything about this deal sounds legit except for the price. The only thing I can possibly think of is that maybe it's water damaged or something, but this sounds like one of those rare Craigslist moments where you're presented with a legitimately good deal (I know these are few and far between so I understand the general skepticism).

Inspect it for physical damage and run a diagnostic and you should be fine.

22. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Anytime you want to buy from CL that requires you to arrive with a bunch of cash, tell the guy you want to meet indoors in a public place like a cafe etc.. "For your protection and mine", if they hesitate, they were planning on robbing you. Happens all the time. If he says - parking lot, etc... he's up to no good... don't let a good deal cloud your judgement.

If it's "too good to be true" it's not true... look at their price and compare to what he can get on eBay.. if it's a lot lower, it's a scam. People are getting robbed at gun point.

Thieves know a low price causes people's brains to turn off.

23. andyACEcandy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I've done plenty of Craigslist transactions so I have a solid gauge as to how this should work out.

He's actually the one more concerned with meeting at a public place like Starbucks, so I think I'm good on that front.

He's letting me know if his offers of $1100 fall through (he hasn't heard back from the other people for a while now) and if so, then has greed to sell to me for $1000... Here goes nothing....

24. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

Gotta enjoy those folks who despite red flags galore plow full steam ahead.

There is no logical reason whatsoever that someone who isn't starving and/or without shelter (and according to his own story he clearly isn't) would be willing to take such a ridiculous loss on a one week old, practically brand new item. Not having the original box and wanting quick cash is not a valid reason for being willing to take an utterly unnecessary ~$700 loss. The general rule of thumb on Craigslist for legit sellers is to price something slightly above what you're willing to accept (but still within reason, which in this case would be something around $1500), and then be willing to be talked down to a slightly lower, mutually agreeable amount. Legit buyers know this routine too and it typically works out for both parties if done correctly. It's basic math and mostly just common sense.

Having a matching last name on a receipt means absolutely nothing. There are no legitimate retailers that won't offer a full refund or at minimum full store credit within a 2 week return period. His story makes zero sense (to anyone thinking rationally, which clearly you are not) except if he is a spoiled junkie craving a quick high, or if he somehow managed to fry the laptops' internals beyond repair via a self-induced accident.

Hope you go through with this clearly legitimate business transaction and report back to us on how much you are enjoying your new machine OP!

25. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Did you finally got it?