Buying the watch in the States and using it in the UK

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by devinparmar83, Jun 29, 2015.

1. devinparmar83 macrumors newbie

devinparmar83

Hi all,

I'd appreciate your feedback on this one.

I want the apple watch (to decide which model currently but def a 42mm).

A friend is travelling to New York and I have the option to have him buy the watch from there to save a little cash thanks to the favourable UK>US conversion rate for currency.

My question is if I get the watch from the States, will it work here in the UK? Are there any issues with doing this I should know about.

Thanks in advance for your help good people!

Dev

2. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I don't see why it wouldn't work. The only issue I see is warranty will probably only be covered in the USA.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Apart from the obvious difference with the charger it should work fine. As above though, you may have issues with the warranty - the terms on the US warranty page (http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/warranty-us.html) say

In addition, you won't get the "enhanced" warranty rights we automatically get in the EU if you don't purchase it in the EU

4. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

No issue with what you propose. Everything will work including the USB charger cable can be used with a UK USB charger.
    A couple other bits of information you will pay New York Sales tax 8.875 percent on the watch so factor that into the price shown on the Apple store. You do not need to concern yourself with any UK tax provided you spend less than US $800 and have been out of the UK for at least 48 hours.

5. devinparmar83 thread starter macrumors newbie

devinparmar83

thank you all - really helpful. Yes the Warranty issue is a bit of a concern...will look through other discussions to see if there are persistent faults to be aware of.

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

People do have issues with their watching bricking and no way to restore it (at least from what I gather).

Good luck with whatever you do!

7. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Buy your AppleCare+ from Apple in the UK after you have the watch in your hands. They can also add it to your support profile at that time. (provided you wanted AC+) - that will take care of your warranty concerns.
    Shouldn't be a problem - Apple should certainly expect people to buy watches in any country they like and bring it home (launched countries of course).

8. jwball macrumors regular