Buying unlocked iPhone 4 for use in Europe and then US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xiard, Aug 4, 2011.

1. xiard macrumors newbie

I am about to head to Europe for about 6 weeks. I normally live in the US. I've decided it's time to go ahead and get an iPhone 4.

I believe my goal is to get an unlocked iPhone 4 that accepts GSM SIM cards. My understanding is that I would get prepaid SIM cards in Europe that would give me both phone and data service. Then when I return to the US, I would either continue using prepaid SIM cards in some way or I would hook the phone up to my AT&T account here in the US.

My questions are

a) is it possible to get one unlocked phone that will work well in both the US and Europe
    b) where should I buy the phone; here in the US or in Europe (Barcelona)?
    c) if I'm using a prepaid SIM card in Europe, can I text with people in the US, and how much would it be?

Other factors:

- I need to be able to tether my laptop to the phone for work.
    - I would like to be able to download the apps from my current 3GS onto the iPhone 4.

What do you think?

Thanks,

David Cater

2. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

a) Yes.
    b) US. Would be cheaper and some countries in Europe don't offer it sim free.
    c) Would depend on the network and their cost, will most likely be quite expensive though.

As for tethering you just have to make sure you get a plan on a network in Europe that allows it as some don't. As for the apps just link your account and download them through a wifi network.

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

a) Yes.
    b) USA.
    c) You probably can but it will seriously affect your money total on the prepaid card or the amount of texts or whatever. Basically, it will cost you a ton.

You will be able to tether but you will need to watch your data usage. It goes faster than you think!

Your apps are tied to your iTunes account. :)