Buying updated MacBook Air - Any advantages to waiting until Lion release in July?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by blumpkin, Jun 12, 2011.

  1. blumpkin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2011
    #1
    Hi everyone,

    I'm in desperate need of a new computer and this rumored MBA release on Wednesday is exactly what I've been waiting for. It's already clear to me that if I purchase one then, the upgrade to Lion come July will be free.

    However, is there any benefit to waiting an extra month for an MBA freshly installed with Lion from the factory, vs. getting one now and upgrading to Lion in July? Just wondering.

    TIA
     
  2. Vazkor macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2006
    #2
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; it-it) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    I don't have an immediate need but I. WANT. IT. So bump.
     
  3. Vazkor macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2006
    #3
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; it-it) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    ps. I don't think there's any advantage. OSX is not Windows.
     
  4. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

    tbobmccoy

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #4
    This. With the App store update, it'll be a cinch to update for free. The only downside might be if you live in a rural area or have poor dl speeds, since the flash drive restore will be Snow Leopard. Who knows though; Apple might be able to switch it out for you after Lion is out officially.
     
  5. blumpkin thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2011
    #5
    lol that's why I'm asking. I've been using Windows all my life and I've decided to give Apple a shot. But, given what I'm used to, I can't help but expect some kind of chaos if I buy now and upgrade in a month.
     
  6. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2011
    #6
    If I read it correctly, you'll be able to do a Lion upgrade (over SL) without even doing a reboot!

    http://www.slashgear.com/os-x-lion-available-in-app-store-for-30-in-july-2011-06157141/

    "In addition to this tiny size and tiny price, you’ll be able to download this app in your front without a reboot. And you’ll be able to put it on all of your personally authorized Macs. Did they just tell us that we’d be able to pirate the software for ourselves? No, just that we wouldn’t have to re-pay over and over again as we’ve had to do in the past."

    http://www.examiner.com/technology-in-national/wwdc-keynote-feature-list-recap

    "No more CDs. Lion is available for purchase through the Mac App Store for $29 and will be installable on all personally owned Macs for that price. Also, no reboot required, which is the first for an OS upgrade."

    For me, coming from a lifetime of Windows (back to DOS 1.1) this part is a shocker and extremely welcomed.
     
  7. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2009
    #7
    Well,

    Firstly you say you are "desperate" for a new computer now. Get a new computer now.

    This way you get a chance to familiarize yourself with the current OS and really, for $29.95. That is really a negligable cost for an OS.

    If you CAN wait, sure do so. But logically there is no reason to wait for the new OS to come out unless the hardware you are looking to buy is due for an upgrade at the same time. Also that being said, getting the new OS right as it is released may not be the best thing anyways as there is always sure to be the occasional glitch or fix and OSX Snow Leopard is pretty solid.

    Just my 2 cents.

    WW
     
  8. lasuther macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Haven, Michigan
    #8
    There won't be an update tomorrow, and if the new MBA launches with Lion it won't matter.

    I am going to wait for the USB Lion install incase of resale. At most, it will be waiting a couple of weeks. If I sell my MBA in 2 or 3 years, it will be important to have the Lion install.
     
  9. cleric macrumors 6502a

    cleric

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    Location:
    Minneapolis, MN
    #9
    No it won't.
     
  10. cmm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 30, 2006
    Location:
    Manhattan & Zürich
    #10
    Free update.

    If you really cannot wait, then purchase whatever computer you need now. If you can wait, then wait a few weeks.
     
  11. satkin2 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 31, 2010
    #11
    If you can wait, then I would. It would just save any work plus you'd have a Lion recovery device should you need it.

    If you need the computer now, get it and upgrade when Lion comes out. This should still be a pretty painless process, but personally for the sake of 6 weeks max I would wait.
     

Share This Page