Buying used cinema display. Can i transfer AppleCare if all they have is the recipt?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maf2k8, Jul 10, 2010.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Buying a used 24" cinema display from someone local. It is 7 months old and she also has 2 yes of apple care on it problem is all she has is the recipt for the display and nothing else. She also said she never registered the AppleCare she thinks. So can i transfer it with just the reciept? Or no? From what I read I need more the. Just the reciept?

Any advice ?

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Applecare will stay with the monitor, its based on the serial number and not your name. If you need warranty repair, just bring it in.

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

As mentioned above, Warranty and AppleCare is on the device, not the owner. I bought a 2009 Macbook three months ago and just sold it for a 13" MBP and I called Apple to verify this. I have 3-year AC on my iMac which makes it easy to sell when the time comes.

This is one of the great things about Apple unlike all my Nikon gear where warranty is never transferrable.

You can use this link - see the right side of page, to plug in the serial # and verify what coverage is left
    http://www.apple.com/support/displays/

4. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

As Vantage Point posted, you should definitely make sure that there is an extended warranty. Her telling you that she bought AppleCare but didn't register the device sounds just a little fishy to me.

How much did you get, if you don't mind me asking.

5. Psychj0e macrumors regular

She needs to manually register the Apple Care to the device using the Apple Website. So it's not covered by Apple Care. Unless she bought it using the education discount, in which case Apple may have automatically done it for her.

To check, ask for the serial number of the screen and you're able to confirm online.