Other Buying used, how to tell if screen is a replacement. 3D Touch and P3 colour?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raymanh, May 17, 2018.

1. raymanh macrumors member

I'm not sure if it's a requirement to state if your iPhone has had it's screen replaced when listing on eBay, but I'm worried about buying a used on in case it has had a replacement screen. This is because I've seen a lot of stories about poor quality third party screens.

Might be a silly question, but is this something to worry about? Do all third party screens support 3D Touch and the P3 colour gamut for the iPhone 7 and above?

Thanks.

2. TC_GoldRush, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018

TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Ask the buyer, easist thing you can do. If he lies, you get a refund. Good luck!

Edit: sorry misread your question, thought you were buying. Shine a narrow beam of light into the screen likethe person below me stated. Good luck.

3. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Shine a flashlight on the screen. If it appears as a big white blob it’s a replacement.
    If it appears a red green blue then it’s OEM

The narrower the light beam the better

4. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Easy. NEVER buy Apple kit on eBay.

5. shanshor macrumors regular

For what it’s worth, I replaced my screen st a third party shop, and I could immediately notice the degraded quality. If it looks and responds well, you’re probably safe. Also, most third party replacements use thicker glass than Apples. So if you feel a sharp ridge around the home button that can be another clue.