Buying used - iPad 1 64 Gig or iPad 2 16 Gig ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by djefferis, Apr 2, 2012.

1. djefferis macrumors newbie

Basically can be had for the same price, but is the 2 THAT big of a jump over the 1.

Basically just buying for light browsing, storing pix and the occasional movie while flying. Can get a 64 Gig 1st generation w/3g wireless for $275 (don't plan on using the 3g, but could always be useful if I decide I need it I guess) or a 2nd Gen w 16 Gig for $289

Don't want to exceed $300, so those are my basic options. Is the bump in speed worth giving up the storage, or will the 1 be useable in 24 months for most apps and simpler games ?

2. darwinian, Apr 2, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012

darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

To me the biggest issue about the original iPad was its memory: 256 MB was not enough for me. The iPad 2 solved this with 512 MB. It's also the thinnest and lightest iPad ever, still! Personally, unless you absolutely need the storage, you may want to consider the iPad 2.

MTA: I was sort of using the marketing speak (thinnest! lightest!) as tongue-in-cheek. I did mean to say though that the weight difference is noticeable if you hold the iPad 2 while reading, for instance, for extended periods of time.

3. djefferis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - I was of the understanding that memory was bigger/equal on iPad1 . I can see where 2x the memory would be a much bigger boost, thanks for the info

4. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

iPad 2, definitely. Huge difference all around.

5. Nevzorus macrumors 6502

The iPad 1 will get down in price REALLY much after 24 months (2 years) because of the two new iPads. The 4th and the 5th generation will come and the iPad 1 will become like the iPhone 1. The iPad 2 will get supported up to iOS 6 and if we're lucky up to iOS 7.

6. cinca macrumors regular

I'll add my vote for the iPad 2.

In terms of everyday use it's a substantial improvement.

As for storage space I really feel is though people tend to overestimate how much space they need. Unless you have some require to walk around with tens of thousands of songs or 100 movies on your iPad you should be fine with the storage space on that iPad 2. Almost all apps and games are absolutely tiny in terms of file size. Sure – there are a few games that take up space – but those are few and far between. The latest version of the operating system also makes it very easy to see apps/games you've downloaded in the past and re-download them if you ever want to delete a few to make a little space.

The iPad 2 is the clear winner.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I think the iPad one is already struggling, while the iPad two is still current sharing the same operational speeds as the iPad 3.

It doesn't really sound like you need loads of storage space, but even if you did I think that you'd still end up being more satisfied with the iPad 2 16 than the iPad 1 64.

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

iPad 2 16GB without a doubt.

Storage isn't a major issue unless u play games or do major duty photos.

But than again original iPad 64gb would drive u nuts if u gamed.

9. mac mac mac macrumors regular

I owned both the iPad 1 and iPad 2, and the iPad 2 is way better. It's noticeably faster, lighter, thinner, and my arms won't fall off after prolonged use. It's nice having extra storage, but I think you'll be fine with just 16GB. If you really need the extra storage, you can always pick up one of those Segate Wireless Hard Drive. I think it's around $200 for a 500GB wireless drive. Like others have mentioned, Apple will likely support the iPad 2 longer than the iPad 1.