Buying used: Macbook pro 15'' EARLY 2013 2.7ghz VS LATE 2013 2.3ghz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yodudears7, Dec 10, 2014.

1. yodudears7 macrumors newbie

yodudears7

Alright. Its almost the end of the fall semester, which means I get a big gap before spring semester. In that time, Im going to be selling my 2011 15'' mbp, and Im going to take the leap, and get a newer 15'' 2013 model off ebay. I have been doing my research and found out what models are in my budget, and what I can get the best out of my money. (A strict $1800 budget)

I have 2 choices narrowed down:
    MBP Early 2013, which is the Intel Core i7 at 2.7ghz, 1gb graphics

OR

MBP Late 2013, with the Intel Core i7 at 2.3ghz, and 2gb graphics.

I have a dilemma. I need to know which one can give me the best run for my money. I haven't tired the Intel Iris pro which is in the Late 2013 model. Now I know that 2gb of graphics is better, but having that 2.7ghz in the Early model might give me the extra boost that the Late model couldn't. I know that Late model has the "Hashwell" processor, and I hear that its better than the "Ivy Bridge"

If anyone has tried both, PLEASE let me know which is better. I need it for video/photo editing, so Im slightly leaning towards the late model.

Cheers!

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Get the Late 2013. Substantial improvement from the Early 2013.

3. yodudears7 thread starter macrumors newbie

yodudears7

Thats what Ive been leaning towards. I think that might just be it.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

The Late 2013 (Haswell) has PCI-e flash storage which is much faster than the SATA III in the Early 2013. Haswell gives better battery life and cooler running, which we hope will lead to better longevity.

The 2.3 Haswell will be just about as fast as the 2.7 Ivy Bridge. Put it this way - you will never see the difference. So all else being equal, get the newer one. If the Early 2013 was $500 less, that changes the discussion significantly - at that point, I'd get the Early 2013. But if they're the same, and both in good shape, etc., I wouldn't think twice about getting the Late 2013.