Buying used MBP and need advice on what to look for at time of purchase. Thanks!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pumpkin King, Oct 14, 2007.

1. Pumpkin King macrumors member

I found the exact MBP I have been looking for on craigslist. I'm set to meet the guy tomorrow. The story, the price and the guy all seem legit.

We will be meeting in a public place and I'll bring a (big and intimidating) friend. But neither of us have used macs and I don't know what might be broken or what to look for beyond cosmetic dents/scratches.

It was purchased in August and I know the yellowing screen is an issue to be concerned about. I've read the thread about the issue and have the pictures to test with, but I haven't found video or pics of a bad screen.

I will get the original receipt with the laptop. If the bottom of the screen is yellow, is it covered by Apple?

Anything else to look for? How do I check the processor to make sure it's the 2.4? Thanks in advance. I'm excited to join the mac community and no longer just be jealous. :D

2. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Matching the receipt to the serial number will help avoid most problems.

Tell him to get you to a user session. Ask for all the passwords. Click the blue apple in the upper-left corner, select "About this Mac". The first screen will give the processsor and RAM details. "More Info" will tell you everything in it.

For an under-warranty two month old MBP with original recept, no tampering, serial numbers match receipt, and the guy's id matches the name on the receipt, the WORST you could be in for is a warranty repair from Apple if you find something wrong.

Remember, you can still buy AppleCare for this unit. Search this site for best price.

3. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

Matching the receipt to the serial number will help avoid most problems.

Ask him to get you to a user session. Ask for all the passwords. Click the blue apple in the upper-left corner, select "About this Mac". The first screen will give the processsor and RAM details. "More Info" will tell you everything in it.

For an under-warranty two month old MBP with original recept, no tampering, serial numbers match receipt, and the guy's id matches the name on the receipt, the WORST you could be in for is a warranty repair from Apple if you find something wrong.

Remember, you can still buy AppleCare for this unit. Search this site for best price.