buying verizon iphone 4s full price (question)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hemorrage, Nov 12, 2011.

1. hemorrage macrumors newbie

hey guys so im probably not eligible for an upgrade since im only 16 months into my 24 month contract, but i really want to get the iphone 4s. Ive been considering buying it full price (649) but i was wondering if anyone here had any experience regarding if buying it full price ensures its unlocked. I read somewhere that if you buy a verizon phone full price its always unlocked since you payed up front.

If not does anyone know what the termination fee for a contract would be through verizon? I want to go ask verizon myself but im currently in Germany for 6 months (using a BB)

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

no to have an unlocked iphone 4s at full retail is only on att gsm iphone 4s. As for verizon you can buy a full retail one and get it unlocked thru verizon international since your are already a verizon customer correct?

3. hemorrage thread starter macrumors newbie

wait so if i buy the unlocked 4S through apple it only works on ATT? that doesn't make any sense... doesn't it have a CDMA/GSM chip? :confused:

4. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

yes it does, but still won't work with cdma carriers. Apple says it on the website.

5. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

6. Asianxfatty macrumors member

Yeaah it sucks, i was hoping the factory unlock iphone 4s can be used on all carriers even CDMA and GSM. sighh so theres no point in buying a factory unlocked 4s if youre sprint or verizon:confused:

7. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

If you order it thru Apple the GSM side might come unlocked, the first batch did.

Since you are already a Verizon customer, and as long as you are in good standing, they should unlock the GSM side for you anyway if it were to be locked.

The actual unlocked phone is GSM only, CDMA phone must be sold tied to a carrier. But Apple unlocks phones bought at full price as of last summer, hence the Sprint and Verizon ones were unlocked when they shipped. Sprint is now locking them as of Friday, haven't head about Verizon, and I'm assuming that is not phones sold for full price in the Apple store - but you might have to google around for that info.

There are some threads here in the forum that will help you out.

Oh, and going to a Verizon store probably wouldn't help you anyway!!

8. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

The unlocked full price phone only works on AT&T because Verizon and sprint only allow phones on their network that have been pre approved. This isn't a hardware issue, but simply the carrier

If you buy the full price Verizon phone, Verizon will unlock the gsm side for international travel only. It will not work on AT&T or tmobile domestically. You will still not get a fully unlocked phone.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's on their site:
    http://www.verizonwireless.com/ReturnPolicy.shtml

It works on any compatible GSM carrier.

^ This. Its not a matter of whether or not the device is unlocked or has a CDMA chip.