Buying Verizon iPhone 6 Plus at full retail price w/o activation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hotdeck, Nov 3, 2014.

1. hotdeck macrumors newbie

Called my apple store today and they said I need to activate the phone with Verizon even if I pay the full price. Is that correct? I plan to buy Verizon phone to use internationally because it's unlocked. But I don't want to sign up a contract with Verizon for my situation. Is it possible to buy their phones without activation with Verizon? Thanks!

2. lawmanfox macrumors newbie

Of course you don't have to, that apple store stuff has no idea what he was talkin about, you can simply insert international sim card or a sim from att, tmobile to make it work in seconds.

3. kepler20b macrumors 6502

false

I have personally walked into an apple store on two separate occasions and walked out without activating the phone or opening hte box. If you pay full retail, you can walk out of the store without opening the box; no questions asked.

4. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

5. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Just to 3x this - NO, you do NOT have to activate the Verizon model if you pay full price. I just picked 2 up this weekend for other people.

6. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

Agree. False. I've done the same thing this year. 3 times.

7. serega macrumors regular

Same here on 2 occasions. Walk in the Apple store, told guy I want iPhone 6, Verizon, full price. He answered "understand". In a couple minutes I walked out with a phone.

8. newellj macrumors 601

Totally wrong. I have done that three times. :eek:

9. Sketchr macrumors 6502a

Same experience. Is the "understand" response policy when a customer requests full pay unactivated Verizon? lol

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

If you purchase the phone full price you don't need to have it activated. You can walk out the store, take it home, take the sim out and insert the sim that you want to use.

Also just an F.Y.I whether you are in contract with Verizon or not, it will still be unlocked.

11. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I have not activated any phone - full priced or subsidized in store. The Genius always offers to open the box and activate the phone: I just politely say that I have an unboxing video to shoot at home and walk away, no hassles.

12. littleredwagen macrumors member

yeah not all apple store people know that. I paid full for mine, they insisted on activating it,. thankfully the battery had power as I needed to make phone calls on my way home