Buying your MBA from the Apple Education Sale is cheaper than buying from BHPhoto.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cookies!, Jul 10, 2013.

1. cookies! macrumors 6502

BH Photo:

Macbook Air: $1,399 - $30 (money you would receive from selling Parallels on eBay) = $1,369.

Apple Store:

Macbook Air: $1,349 + $75 (sales tax for my area) - $80 (money you would receive from selling $100 app store gift card on eBay) = $1,344.

Obviously, this might be different if you have a higher sales tax than I. And if you want Parallels, you should probably choose the BH.

But these are my numbers, and I hope they save everyone here a little money and time! This is especially helpful if you just want to walk into a brick and mortar Apple Store to get your laptop ASAP!

2. barrk macrumors member

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

This. And also, I want to know where OP lives where sales tax is only 5.5% :)

4. cookies! thread starter macrumors 6502

In the deep south, where we rebels don't like to pay 'em :)

5. Omnius macrumors 6502a

Delaware = no sales tax. What Delaware lacks in fun, it makes up for in a lack of sales tax.

6. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I got my 2011 MBA from a Best Buy in New Hampshire, also no sales tax. They matched Apple's education sale price and also threw in a $100 Best Buy gift card.

Totally. Awesome.

7. Omnius macrumors 6502a

Another state with nothing going on that makes up for it with cheaper products.

8. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Not so. Ever lived in NH ?

9. kaldezar macrumors regular

Well i would hazard a guess that the crime rate is amongst the lowest!

10. Omnius macrumors 6502a

It's unclear what you're trying to say based on the lack of context in your statement.

11. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Really ? If you had lived in NH then you would have known that your original comment "nothing going on" was in error. Either you haven't or you had a bad impression when you were there.

12. barrk macrumors member

NH has the biggest party school in the ivy league Dartmouth

13. Omnius macrumors 6502a

Ah, allow me to clarify, as a New Yorker, most places have nothing going on by comparison.

----------

That's really not saying much. By comparison, Delaware has the university of Delaware, a school that is often voted for having some of the best looking women and best parties. Saying a state has maybe one attraction isn't exactly going to make up for a lot of nothing.

14. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

15. BIS2 macrumors regular

Which Best Buy in NH?

Which Best Buy in NH did you go to? And what did they ask for in terms of proof of being a student? Thanks-

16. barrk macrumors member

17. Rossatron macrumors 6502a

Can you explain? Isn't sales tax a percentage of the product's price (so it higher the more expensive the product is)?

18. barrk macrumors member

Yea so if you aren't paying sales tax (BHPhoto) and you want to buy a more expensive PC then you can save more money than if you bought it through Apple.

19. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Nashua I think? And I'm not sure if they asked for proof or not, but I'm sure I had my student ID on me just in case.

This year's different though. You go online and sign up for the education discount using a .edu address, then you get an email with coupons, which you can then use to get a discounted Mac ($50-$100 off I think?). I'm not sure if they're matching the $100 gift card anymore though =\