Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
A Sting album just became available in 384k 5.1 WMA format with unlimited burns and tranfers.

This is going to get interesting.

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Whoo. I'm going to go burn this onto a 5.1 CD right now. Then I am going to listen to it on my surround sound MP3 player.

Are there ever going to be any SACD/DVD-A burners...I'm familiar with the stringent copy protection measures on each format, but has anyone heard anything?

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Also...a small nitpick. Just because something has a 5.1 channel mix, doesn't make it "Dolby"

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Originally posted by aphexist
Whoo. I'm going to go burn this onto a 5.1 CD right now. Then I am going to listen to it on my surround sound MP3 player.

Are there ever going to be any SACD/DVD-A burners...I'm familiar with the stringent copy protection measures on each format, but has anyone heard anything?

Actually my motherboard, and the majority of new sound hards have optical 5.1 output as do media PCs. There's even 5.1 PC headphones now. (for sound cards, no optical)

PowerDVD and HDTV edit:WMV are also 5.1. For mainstream users without optical out or soundcards with optical or 5.1 outs they probably don't know it's available or think it's useful. I want everything in 5.1 whenver possible.

With media streaming devices and media PCs popping up, who needs a SACD burner or player?

You won't get 5.1 in your DigAudio device, but you will get 384k encoding.

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Re: Buymusic.com and Dolby 5.1

Originally posted by MorganX
A Sting album just became available in 384k 5.1 WMA format with unlimited burns and tranfers.

watch out for 5.1 AAC coming soon. there's a link here for it somewhere

Tyler

aphexist

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Actually my motherboard, and the majority of new sound hards have optical 5.1 output as do media PCs. There's even 5.1 PC headphones now. (for sound cards, no optical)

PowerDVD and HDTV edit:WMV are also 5.1. For mainstream users without optical out or soundcards with optical or 5.1 outs they probably don't know it's available or think it's useful. I want everything in 5.1 whenver possible.

With media streaming devices and media PCs popping up, who needs a SACD burner or player?

You won't get 5.1 in your DigAudio device, but you will get 384k encoding.

Of course there are optical outputs on computers (duh, G5). I was poking because you said there were unlimited burns and transfers, implying that you would enjoy your 5.1 mix on a CD audio disc or a portable media device (obviously 2 channel only).

And of course it's nice to have a 5.1 mix on whatever possible. However, if it's between paying $10 to listen to that mix through my computer at 64kbps per channel or $16 to listen through my SACD player at 2Mbps per channel, it's going to be the SACD. But that is just me, you may prefer another way.

You will get a better sound out of SACD compared to any music you download. As far as being able to enjoy that through your preferred listening device, that is another story.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i am more interested in DVD-A because Acura has put the first DVD-A certified audio system in the new 2004 TL's. I heard it is phenominal when you listen to it. i probably shouldnt go look at them today because it will make my feel bad about my 2002 with bose stereo :)

iJon

illumin8

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2003
East Coast, US
Re: Buymusic.com and Dolby 5.1

Is this the "Brand New Day" album? The reason I ask is that I purchased this in DVD-audio format about 6 months ago. It's basically the same as the original album, it's just been remastered to use 5.1 surround sound (mine is in DTS 5.1 format).

5.1 audio is about to hit mainstream, the only problem is playback devices. Unless I can burn the Sting album onto a standard DVD-Audio disk that will play in my DVD player or my car, I'm not interested.

Especially if it's only WMA with DRM enabled. Ugh... Can you imagine how painful it would be to have to listen to the Sting album only on your computer? Who do they think will actually buy this stuff when you can't listen on any other device?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.