Bye Bye... You Name It (Environmental Issues)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Huntn, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Bye Bye Glaciers:
    2015, I never imagined in my lifetime...Bye Bye New Orleans, Miami, Manhattan (
    link), 50 years from now?

Ask you Republican elected officials why they've described global warming as a myth (as long as I can remember) and why human beings hold no responsibility in this process?

Washington post: The melting of Antarctica was already really bad. It just got worse

Ars Tecnica: Sudden melt strikes glaciers on the Antarctic Peninsula

[​IMG]

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

climate changes, always has & always will. any of you buy your carbon credits?

3. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Changing != changing in a matter of years, while at the same time destroying the natural habitat of pretty much all living creatures, along with their populations.

4. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Lol, keep your head in the sand until the hole fills with water. :D

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I help out as a volunteer reforesting areas in my state. I also cycle for the majority of my journeys now after selling my car off (see thread). My electricity is purchased offset where possible which is marginally more expensive but imo more than worth it.

You can rest assured that some of us will at least try to leave your children a better world.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

People die. Always have & always will.

So I guess it's all just part of the natural process if I go out and murder a few.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

CAN'T even collect rain water in some states. it's ok, the sky is falling and man are to blame for all of it, just get your carbon credits, PLEASE.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

One gets the feeling that the above prolific forums poster is just posting for a reaction and attention.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    To look on the bright side, I've always wanted to own some beachfront property...

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

in AZ? or your home state?

11. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    My home state. From Huntn's map, the worst case flooding scenario will only put me a little over 150 miles from the ocean.

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Yeah a direct correlation of rain to rising sea levels, a monumentally astute conclusion. Too bad all that fresh water is dumping into the ocean. :rolleyes:

13. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yeah and "just get your carbon credits" seems to mean "you care about it, you pay for it". As if we won't all be paying the extra taxes to cover the resulting weather and related events:

Researchers at the Center for Climate and Security long have argued that the Syrian drought had a basis in climate change and that the drought had led to widespread displacement. The continued breakdown of law and order in Syria has led to the emergence of ISIS.

http://www.greenbiz.com/article/how-climate-breeds-conflict-syria-drought-and-civil-war

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

If the climate changes, the climate changes.

There's nothing we can do about it, so we might as well sit back and relax.

15. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Does this mean New Jersey gets palm trees? I like palm trees.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we had a worse case scenario a while ago with the ozone layer, it healed up.

I can be at the beach in 1.5 hrs :D

17. DakotaGuy, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015

DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I'd place more blame on China and other parts of Asia for not controlling emissions then the Republicans. I always like how people are so focused on the U.S. that they think there is no pollution coming from other parts of the world. The whole world has to clean-up because only doing it in the U.S. isn't going to solve the problem. Chinese manufacturing is dirty and we are all buying the stuff that comes out of those dirty unregulated plants.

Don't believe me... Watch this...

But it is easier to say... Those darn Republicans are responsible for all of this.

18. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

That's two issues you're massively oversimplifying. First of all, the issue with rain collection is that on a large scale is can actually disrupt the natural distribution of water into natural bodies of water. And as for "carbon credits", I'll just tell you for the umpteenth time that Al Gore is NOT, has NEVER BEEN, and will NEVER BE a scientist.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is a good analogy. Like climate change and CO2, man made CFCs were implicated in the ozone destruction. As such CFCs ended up being phased out with alternatives found and utilised. There was no financial meltdown to this process with people losing their jobs etc etc. It's a great analogy to keep in mind to stave off the FUD that there will be a drastic collapse of society by shifting energy production away from fossil fuels.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

but he invented in the internet, wait, where the hell did I mention Gore?
    as far as rain collection, what do you say is "large scale"?

21. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

"Healed up"? No, more like in a very long recovery. Ozone levels aren't expected to fully rebound until the latter half of this century.

22. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

An entire city's worth of people would be an example of "large scale".

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

but those people are the ones that need the water, it would be for their own use.

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What do you mean, "there's nothing we can do about it"?

We're the ones who caused it in the first place.

25. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Other cities in dryer climates need water too. And of course the agriculture industry needs tons of water. And then there is all the wildlife that would suffer if lakes and rivers were left dry.