C1 or R5? About to order Intel SSD. SSDSA2MH160G2R5 vs. SSDSA2MH160G2C1

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dr_Maybe, Sep 4, 2009.

  1. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

    Dr_Maybe

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2003
    Location:
    South America
    #1
    I want the 2nd gen. intel 160GB for my MBP 13". But I've seen two variations of the product code.

    SSDSA2MH160G2C1
    SSDSA2MH160G2R5

    What's the difference? I have seen the R5 variation in stock a few places, but not the C1.

    I want to order one, while they are still in stock. But I don't want to buy the wrong product.
     
  2. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

    fehhkk

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #2
    R5 is the retail box, which comes with the 3.5" bracket/adapter. C1 is the OEM drive only (with the spacer). To save $$, get the C1.
     
  3. Dr_Maybe thread starter macrumors 6502

    Dr_Maybe

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2003
    Location:
    South America
    #3
    Thanks. I've seen the R5 in stock for about $530. Does anyone know if it's available at a lower price somewhere?

    I don't care about C1 or R5 (since I don't need retail package or 3.5" bracket) it just has to be in stock.


    EDIT: I've ordered a drive now. Awaiting order processing.
     
  4. Pagga macrumors 6502

    Pagga

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2009
    Location:
    Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    #4
    My only worry about this purchase would be if Intel
    were to launch a 250GB before x-mas ... will they?

    P
     
  5. Dr_Maybe thread starter macrumors 6502

    Dr_Maybe

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2003
    Location:
    South America
    #5
    There's an intel SSD roadmap. There are bigger drives on it, but I don't remember exactly when. I think Q1 2010.

    But I want it now. Months with a SSD instead of the 5400rpm is worth it. 160GB should be enough for me anyway.
     
  6. tenderidol macrumors regular

    tenderidol

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    #6
    Thanks for the explanation on the C1 and R5 versions. I am considering getting an SSD for my MBP15 (and possibly for wife's MBP13). Since everything else seems to be the same, I will try to find a C1 with a lower price tag I hope :)
     
  7. tenderidol macrumors regular

    tenderidol

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    #7
    In that leaked document, the 320GB has a Q4 2009 release. I wonder if anyone has a better idea about the availability of those SSDs. I dont mind waiting 2-3 more months to get the 320GB version. Thanks.
     
  8. acurafan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    #8
    get and enjoy the 160gb - are you really willing to pay $$$$$ for a newly released 320gb??
     
  9. tenderidol macrumors regular

    tenderidol

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    #9
    I know they'll be expensive, but we are talking about 2x more the space here. If I buy a 160GB now, the price will be around ~$500. As long as the 320GB is not going to be sold for $1,000 (highly unlikely), waiting for that would be more logical in my case, since I am more concerned about space than $/GB.
     
  10. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

    fehhkk

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #10
    I don't think they'll be in that early. I'm guessing February-March 2010 would be a better date.
     
  11. tenderidol macrumors regular

    tenderidol

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    #11
    I think you're right. Number of different sources are mentioning early-mid 2010 for the 320GB drivers. I'll have to decide whether to get the 160GB now and be happy, or wait 6 more months for the next generation. I am waiting for a quote for the 160GB Intel SSD. Let's see what the final price is going to be...
     
  12. rgarjr macrumors 603

    rgarjr

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2009
    Location:
    Southern Cal
    #12
    Just get an 80 or 160 Gig, install and enjoy it now. Then when bigger ones come out, buy it and sell the other one.
     
  13. tenderidol macrumors regular

    tenderidol

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2009
    #13
    Sounds like a good plan actually. Thanks!

    Alright. I'll get the 160GB now, use it with the 15"MBP until the 320GB comes out (the current 500GB 5400rpm will be good for Time Machine backups). Once the 320GB gets here, I'll install the 160GB to wife's 13"MBP :D
     
  14. Meever macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    #14
    Nice. Hey you could even use them as external drive or boost performance of an old PC you've got laying around or maybe throw it in the PS3 to cut load times.

    These days any SSD over 32gigs can have a million uses.
     
  15. sKiZZiT macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2010
    #15
    How do you install your own SSD and copy over your current Mac OSX to the new SSD?
     
  16. piwi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2006
    #16
    Off topic, BUT:

    Install the SSD, pop in the OS X Install DVD, boot off of it, make a fresh install, apply all the updates, run the Migration Assistant.
     

Share This Page