C3PO v. Jar-Jar Binks: who annoys you more?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
21,652
123
I know... deeply philosophical question, but which of these two 'comic' sidekicks do you detest more?

Jar-Jar Binks or C3PO?

I certainly know which one I hate the most...


(Blame Sir Giggles for this thread :) )
 

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
507
0
They're both bumbling idiots. Hard to decide. However, C3PO is too likeable to be hated.
 

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
2,495
0
Miami
Jar-Jar appearance almost made me quit the theater and ask for my money back. C3PO is just a silly character but respectful, there is not comparison.
 

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
9,025
1
I've not seen any of the Star Wars films so I'll have to reserve judgement until I do... ;)
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,817
37
Andover, MA
edesignuk said:
meh, not in it nearly enough to save it :p

But seriously, I suppose I've just never "got" the whole Star Wars thing :confused:
Possibly because you're young enough that the original movies were considered old when you saw them... those of us who saw them "new" probably remember our amazed reactions to them at the time, and that probably flavors our opinions.

Regardless, the past two have sucked - more than anything because of terrible acting on the Anakin parts (well, aside from the lack of plat focus).
 

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
1,496
0
:noitаɔo˩
iGAV said:
I've not seen any of the Star Wars films so I'll have to reserve judgement until I do... ;)
:eek: :eek:

I think I can help out on this one:

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl


Some people have way too much free time :eek: :p :p
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,077
1
London, England
jsw said:
Possibly because you're young enough that the original movies were considered old when you saw them... those of us who saw them "new" probably remember our amazed reactions to them at the time, and that probably flavors our opinions.
Yeah, I think that's it. You really need to have been around when it had the wow factor, which, I wasn't :D
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,817
37
Andover, MA
edesignuk said:
Yeah, I think that's it. You really need to have been around when it had the wow factor, which, I wasn't :D
You'll know what it's like when people are asking you just what the hell you see in Keira 25 years from now.... ;)
 

Darwin

macrumors 65816
Jun 2, 2003
1,082
0
round the corner
I vote Jar Jar

C3PO may be annoying but he was in Star Wars to begin with so I guess I have more respect for him

Jar Jar on the other hand is clumsy and can't seem to do anything right, he just acts like a dumb clown :eek:
 

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
22,817
37
Andover, MA
edesignuk said:
But then I can show 'em the pics from 25 years ago...they'll soon shut up ;) :D :p
Maybe - but they'll complain about the horribly low resolution and the fact that they're only 2-D. ;)

I was tempted to write "34AA" instead of "2-D" but thought that would just be crass.
 

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
2,442
1
The Dallas 'burbs
Depends on the movie.

3PO was fine in the originals and Ep I.
The whole fiasco with him in Ep II I could definitely live without. The stupid puns/head switch crap was more annoying to me than the little bit that Jar-Jar played. But after Ep I I was probably just glad that they didn't use more of him.

In summary Jar-Jar is always annoying, but he was barely edged out by 3PO in Ep II for most annoying. Jar-Jar is 2 for 2 at being annoying while 3PO is 1 for 5.
 

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
5,730
0
NYC
Jar Jar, use the booba! Is about all I remember from the time I saw star wars episode 1, although I do remember him being rather likable though. I don't think I could ever say that I was annoyed by C3PO, as he is a PIMP!
 

Sir_Giggles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
507
0
OutThere761 said:
Jar Jar, use the booba! Is about all I remember from the time I saw star wars episode 1, although I do remember him being rather likable though. I don't think I could ever say that I was annoyed by C3PO, as he is a PIMP!
ITS ABOUT THE KIDS!! Ask any kid if they find JJB annoying, and I'm willing to bet most find him as lovable as we did for C3PO. So I take all your comments in perspective.