Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
okay someones hooking up another puter in the same household. the modem is needed to be shared between the currently used mac and the new puter in the house a pc.

on the mac... in network port configurations there is only an untitled name and internal modem name no "built in ethernet" name.

how does one get that to show back up?... since thats what is needed.

the party un plugged the modem from the mac and they are not able to hook up to the internet anymore.

something happened.

any advice or help would be appreciated.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
well, assuming the person DOES in fact have built in ethernet... i believe you could go to the network system preference panel... then from the drop down menu, choose "network port configurations"... and set it up for the ethernet port... either by checking the box (activating it), or by selecting new and setting it up that way, if they've deleted the ethernet config.

i think that'll work.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
the problem is that "built in ethernet" is not an option. it like disapprered. thats the problem. they cant get to it because its not there... just "internet modem" and "untitled".

they do have built in ethernet.

thanks jello.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Is the cable modem plugged in when you select "built-in ethernet"? i'm not sure but i think it won't let you access a port settings unless you've got an active device in that port...

You actually used the "New..." button to create a new configuration, and it still doesn't show up in the "Port:" dropdown menu?

this is odd...

if you already did both these things, don't be offended, just have to make sure...

pnw

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Ok, in that tab that is supposed to show "Built In Ethernet", find the option that says "Network Port Configurations". From there, you can turn that configuration back on.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by MacAztec
Ok, in that tab that is supposed to show "Built In Ethernet", find the option that says "Network Port Configurations". From there, you can turn that configuration back on.

like he said, he tried that and "built-in ethernet" is not showing up as an option--

pnw

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
system prefs is only like 400k. delete it and have someone send you another one. see if that fixes anything. also plus in your ethernet and restart your computer and hold on down apple v. watch it and see if it detects your ethernet along with your mac address. if it detects your ethernet and mac address then you know your port isnt dead and it is a software problem. if that doesnt work i guess you try installing the system. could be your ethernet port is bad. hopefully you have a powermac because it would only cost about 9 dollars for a new nic card but if you have anything else i hope you have applecare.

iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.