Cable to connect MBP to external monitor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kzbr720, Sep 3, 2010.

1. kzbr720 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have recently bought a macbook pro and am looking to hook it up to an external monitor/tv.

I have asked many different people in apple store and other electronics shops and have been told so many different things that I dont really know what to do.

Just would like advice on whether what I have gathered will work....

So I'm planning on getting a mini port to HDMI adaptor, then using the HDMI cable to connect to the monitor...

From what I have heard from one person this will carry video and sound, but another said NO... just the sound.

Can someone clarify which is correct. I have seen an adaptor which says it also will carry sound, but not sure whether it will actually work.

Thanks in advance :)

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The newest MBP's support sound through a mini-displayport to HDMI adapter, though it only works with certain adapters, there was a discussion on this a few months ago.

If I were you, I'd keep the amount of adapters to a minimum, if you want to connect to a TV, use an adapter that is known to work correctly and then use however much HDMI wire you need to use. If you want to connect to a plain old display, choose the correct adapter, be it MDP to DVI or MDP to VGA.

3. kzbr720 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

I have a late 2009 MacBook Pro, and I'm using an aftermarket mini display port to HDMI cable converter, its hooked up to 1080p monitor. You can buy one from Amazon, complete with a 6 foot HDMI cable for around $10. Mine does only video, no sound. I heard the newer 2010 Macbook Pro mini display port carries both video and sound.