Cables coming apart...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Sep 29, 2013.

1. tl01 macrumors 68000

What is your experience with lighting cables and having them come apart. One almost burnt me last night when it split open. I just found the one that sits by my computer and hardly gets used has split too. I have apple care + or square trade for all of my idevices. I have owned about 20 idevices in my family over the years.... And have had at least 25 cables. These are my first two to fall apart. Today the apple store gave me a hard time saying I should have brought if before it split... That it was my fault... For bending the cable. They did agree to replace it. The genius told me to be more careful... And I spitefully said... I can't be more careful and still use the cable. Have others had issues with cables? Do they give you a hard time? I'm about to book another appt for the other cable... And plan to go to a different store.
    First one... Last night.
    [​IMG]
    Second one... Today.
    [​IMG]

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I haven't had any issues with the lightning cables splitting but I did have problems with the 30 pin.

From your pictures it looks like they've been bent so much that they're tearing. What are you doing that keeps them bent?

3. stiligFox macrumors 65816

stiligFox

I haven't had any issues with mine, and goodness knows I abuse mine. Mines almost a year old.

4. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Oh ya...those lightning cables are very flimsy. I have 2 iPhones and 1 iPod that all use the lightning cable and had to have them replaced 4 times. When I went last time, the lady in front if me also had the same issue. Even the apple guy told me they are not as durable as the previous ones.it seems like you have to keep the top part straight and avoid bending it.

5. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yes, I've also had that happen with only the 30pin cables, not the lightning ones…….and I'll admit that I am pretty hard on cables and freely expect to have to buy spares…..but so far, the lightning cable from my 5 has survived me quite well.

And in all fairness, it took over 3 years for the one 30pin to split/fray and 2 years for the other.

6. LagLiquidators macrumors member

LagLiquidators

I haven't had a problem yet with lightning cables but I've seen hundreds of 30-pins that look just like that.

7. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

The stock Apple lightning cables are not durable, buy one of the thicker third party ones.

Personally im using some knockoff for eBay that has lasted longer than 2 Apple cables (it's for my car so it gets rougher use than a typical cable). Although mine typically don't break like yours do, the wires literally separate from the pin for mine.

8. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

I just plug in the device and let it sit. I don't leave it twisted at all. The one from tonight gets used about once every two weeks. The first one is the one that goes in my car. My car has a special cut out in a drawer on the dashboard where I put it while drive... for cables to prevent the cable from having an issue.

----------

I bought one certified by apple one that is thicker and it still looks brand new! But I can't afford to replace all my cables:(. These bunch up and it bunches more and more over time.

9. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

if you buy a replacement get it from radioshack they have insurance on those cables for like $5 extra so when it happens again your covered..apple chargers have always been horrible in bunching and tearing towards the connection IMO

10. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I've had several that either have split or have stopped charging the phone. Each time I had them replaced by Apple w/o any issues.
    I am thinking of putting electrical tape in the area just before the iPhone plug, to prevent it from bending and becoming non-functional.

11. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

Just noticed this morning that mine has the same thing

Can I call apple and have them ship a new one to me, or do I have to go to the store?

12. sirenized macrumors regular

I've had three apple lightning cables do the same thing. I got sick of having apple replace them/ buy new ones and finally bought the amazon brand for 12$ a pop. Not a single issue since

13. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

My cable started falling apart like 6 months ago and its only been now that my MBP wouldn't accept it. They have additional wrapping on the cables themselves.

I have an extra from my Nano though, and when I get the 5S, I'll have that.

14. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

If you buy these keep in mind that they are slightly bigger on the tips and not all cases will fit this cable, like the apple leather case for i5s/i5 for example.

15. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Lightening cable quality for me has been hit or miss but overall crap.

In my house we have 6. 4 that pretty much never move.

I have 30 pin cables from probably 2003 that traveled the country and in are better condition then those.

16. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

What's weird is that they were both working...even like that. I only noticed the split because my finger got hot from touching around it what I picked up my phone.

I first noticed the first cable was bunching back in April... and it just now split....

17. ZhenyaF macrumors 6502

It's a shame that such an expensive cable cannot be of a better quality. I've never had a problem with a 30 pin cable, and I have 7 or 8 of them

18. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes.. my certified by apple cable does have a bigger tip and it barely fits with my ipad mini cases.

19. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

I had to have mine replaced once already. Went to the Apple store and didn't have a problem. Now just a few months later there seems to be a short or something in it because if I nudge the phone while it's charging, the charge will cut in and out.

20. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

21. ram161, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

ram161 macrumors newbie

These cables are not durable - I have purchased 2 new lightning cables in the past. (Aside from the cable that came with my iPhone.)

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

no need!

TS you have the 1 year warranty plus apple care +; they are supposed to exchange for you for free.

The apple one is very weak compared to my Belkin and AmazonBasics Cable, almost half as strong it feels.

23. ajt1995 macrumors 6502

24. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Are they getting caught in the drawer? They look cut.

25. auero macrumors 65816

Had this issue. Apple replaced it right away without even asking any questions. The employee told me that they replace it as soon as they see the rubber sliding up like that near the connector.