Caffeine addiction

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ZiggyPastorius, Mar 4, 2009.

1. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Not sure why I put this in PRSI, as it's not really a big issue, as far as I know, but I wanted to know what everyone thought about it.

It's a drug we hear far less about than tobacco, marijuana, alcohol, et cetera. Has anyone ever known anyone that had any caffeine addiction? Not just a high intake, but an excessive consumption. Any particular stories come to mind?

The reason I ask is, several years ago, I got addicted to caffeine really bad, to the point that if I didn't have an energy drink or coffee or whatever else, I had a bottle of caffeine pills handy to pop a few. Withdrawal headaches, excessive consumption (easily over a gram a day a lot of the time). Eventually, I had to stop with the caffeine consumption, and after about a year of monitoring my intake, I was completely back to normal. No withdrawals, could consume sodas and such, no problem. Now, I feel I may be falling back into it. My body has been deadened to the usual effects of caffeine, uppityness, edginess, alertness, and now when I go without caffeine, my body craves it. When I get it, it relaxes me. I just finished a Caramel Latté with four shots of espresso, and now I'm drinking three shots of espresso alone. Yesterday, I also consumed a lot, but today isn't much different than any other day.

So, considering there isn't a lot about the long-term effects of caffeine, and not many people have "gone overboard" with it, what do you guys know? Is it a serious problem?

Just one of the many random curiosities from the mind of Ziggy.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Caffeine doesn't seem to have the same effect on me as most others. I can drink coffee up until going to bed and I still sleep like a baby, except getting up to pee. :D

I drink 4-6 cups most mornings but some mornings I may have only 1 cup. I suffer no withdrawal symptoms. <shrug>

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Regular caffeinated coffee makes me a lunatic. I can't drink it. Plus, it makes me run to the toilet.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I wants to see this in person. :D

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No, you don't. I get really cranky and will go off on people for nothing. I do that enough as it is. ;)

6. pooky macrumors 6502

There isn't much in the way of research on the longer-term effects of high caffeine intake; it's (mostly) benign, but at very high levels, I'd say all bets are off. You aren't going to develop anything dramatic or obvious, but keep in mind it is a chemical with a real biological effect. That being said, your most obvious symptoms are going to be neurological, both with the cravings and the habituation (meaning it has less effect over time).

Another potential problem is that caffeine is a diuretic - it stimulates your kidneys to remove water from your blood and dump it into your urine. With normal doses, this isn't a problem, but you could run into some issues with as much as you are taking.

Basically, ingesting anything to the point where you feel you have uncontrolled cravings is probably a bad thing. I would cut back slowly, maybe the equivalent of 1 espresso reduction per week. You might just be one of those people that is particularly sensitive to caffeine addiction; in that case, maybe you should avoid it.

P.S. My dog is named Ziggy...

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

*Peace stands up*

Hi. I'm Peace and I'm addicted to caffeine..

Can't live without it. I blame the Navy.

8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Does he have a caffeine problem? :confused:

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

DIET COKE!

Attached Files:

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The way that I see it is I drink an excessive amount of coffee both decaf and regular coffee. I do not feel as though this is a problem, wait the phone is ringing, ok I am back. You see, wait I have to pee, ok I am back, the thing about it is that caffeine doesn't seem to affect me like it should but I don't really notice I mean nothing ever happens and when I drink it I think it is for the taste I actually thing that coffee, no I am not hungry, I think that coffee taste very good. It is only recently that I think I have found a brand of coffee that is good each and every time I don't really see a point, I'm having chicken for dinner tonight, I don't really see a point in my day where the coffee I drink tastes badly or bitter or anything I also believe that sometimes I just crave coffee because I take it slightly sweeter than some and it sometimes helps kills the cravings of wanting something sweet not all of the time but some of the time. Sure caffeine is a drug this is a well known widely published fact that not many can deny there is substantial debate over whether or not the actual drug is addictive or not I say in some ways it is but I guess I would rather have a cup of coffee or even ten then smoke a pack of day or anything else for that matter I really like coffee.

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm kind of addicted. I only drink one 4 cup coffee pot/day, but since they measure cups in the 6 oz variety it's either a little more than will fit in my "take coffee to work mug" or for 2 decent sized cups at home on weekends/days off.

Mostly it counters a lack of enough sleep. Last week I had a couple days where I didn't intake my recommended daily portion, and found myself suffering from headaches, fatigue, and general irritability. Of course the week you bring an infant home from the hospital with a 4 year old and a nearly 2 year old at home, is not the week to give up coffee...:D

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

[​IMG]
    ^
    |
    |
    Me on caffeine. I keep my doses low these days.

I used to drink a lot of Jolt cola...

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Me too. Lee on caffeine is not good.

14. emt1 macrumors 65816

I was addicted to caffeine about a year ago. I rarely drink it now, but I also take Adderall everyday, which makes caffeine seem absolutely pathetic.

15. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Yep, it is a diuretic. I've noticed that very much so, but it doesn't bother me all that much. And like you, I can sleep quite easily hyped up on caffeine. (hyped up isn't even a good word because it doesn't make me more uppity, it actually makes me more relaxed).

You know, I think I read this is a symptom and it may be the biggest problem I have. I tend to yell a lot when I consume a lot of caffeine, and I've noticed my irritability going up since my consumption started picking up again.

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Yep, caffeine addict here. I get cranky if I don't have some coffee and a few sodas a day.:eek:

17. ZiggyPastorius thread starter macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

As long as you don't get to the point where you need to pop caffeine pills, you should be fine. That wasn't any fun at all, I can't lie :eek:

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I also used to eat chocolate-covered espresso beans. I remember the first time I got my hands on those, I was about 14. Man, what a crazy day that was...