Cain wants to fry Mexicans, Ha ha??

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Oct 17, 2011.

1. mcrain, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2011

mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Anyone else see the story of Herman Cain proposing an electrified fence 20 ft. high that can kill people trying to enter America?

Oh wait, now he's just "joking."

Cite in a moment.

Shock - not on CNN or FoxNews... really, I know I heard it... Give me a minute.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

He reminds me of Palin when he talks of policy. It's like he doesn't fully understand or doesn't care to give a full thought to it.

Like that.

Riddle me this Mr Cain: how come illegal immigration isn't a problem in New Mexico?

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Odd given it was announced that the US deported nearly 400,000 people in the past year.

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Because New Mexico isn't much better than regular Mexico in terms of under-the-table opportunities, and the illegals know it. Otherwise, when the Arizona laws went into effect, we would have seen a massive influx of illegals in New Mexico from Arizona.

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

One guy, 400,000 times.

And he was well paid for his "contribution".

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Does Mr. Cain know this? :p

7. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

So, you have an issue with the law, or enforcing the law? An issue with the law is one thing, but to fight enforcing a current law is pretty poor sport

8. hulugu, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Are we talking about human smuggling or the numbers of undocumented workers.

If it's the former, as part of its strategy CBP has funneled human smuggling into Arizona using fences and high numbers of enforcement officers.

If it's the latter, remember that undocumented workers live throughout the United States as far north as Washington state and east to Maine.

New Mexico doesn't have the economic opportunities, but it's also not the primary pathway for illegal immigration.

Of course, the nasty part of Cain's 'joke' is the continued idea that undocumented workers are somehow sub-human and that building an electric fence that would kill people as they tried to cross is political campaign fodder rather than a sign of dementia.

If Iran threatened to build a similar fence to keep out Afghanis, I'm sure it would be met with the same joviality.

Cain should come to the Pima County morgue and observe the risks that people go through to come to the United States.

9. 184550 Guest

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

However, it is ultimately impracticable.

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

People getting electrocuted doesn't bother you ?

Do you think you represent the typical republican ?

11. 184550 Guest

See Post 9.

Given I've already donated my time and money to Obama's NC Campaign, I don't think I represent any Republican (that well at least).

It is possible to care about national security and illegal immigration and still be a Democrat.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

And that's precisely what should bother you. The man is campaigning for president on a platform of impracticalities. His "9-9-9" scheme is just as weak and impracticable as his silly wall.

We could build a wall as heavily fortified as the Maginot Line, or as extensive as the Great Wall of China, and it would be no more more effective at keeping people out than the original. I do not want to live in a fortified state.

13. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Apparently compassion is not a prerequisite.

This is weird for me, but Ron Paul said something interesting during one of the debates:

The best fence would have to be the Frankenstein monster of China, Israeli, and East German border policies. We already have what the ACLU calls a "non-constitution" zone 100 miles inside the US border, REAL ID and other policies will just extend the power of the federal government intrusively while leaving the economic pressure untouched.

It's instructive that France, Ming Dynasty China both failed despite their border protection.

14. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

While I ultimately consider Ron Paul's viewpoint to be misguided and paranoid, I do feel that, in fortifying the border with Mexico, Americans are abrogating their own freedoms in exchange for nothing more than a false perception of increased security.

Republicans seem to believe that enhanced physical security measures will stop illegal immigration and drug/weapons trafficking. We've spent untold billions to that end and I remain totally unconvinced. The only way to fix the problem is to relieve the pressures to the south that lead people to emigrate and/or traffic in drugs and guns.

15. 184550 Guest

Just the illusion. ;)

16. WildGuess macrumors regular

Me gustan los mexicanos fritos con salsa y guacamole.

17. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

This is never going to happen but if a Mexican decides to climb a electrified border fence (probably big signs indicating that it's electrified) to come here illegally, he deserves what's coming to him.

18. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

They do, huh? I think I would prefer you with wasabi and soy sauce, and lots of those pickled ginger slices.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I'm pretty sure thats exactly what Ron paul was Pointing out otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned the Id cards.

20. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Don't worry guys if the US economy keeps going the way it is, you won't have an illegal immigration problem, you'll have a bigger one :S

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

No, this quote

clearly shows that Ron Paul sees it as more than the American people robbing themselves of freedom of movement - he sees it as an external imposition - more specifically, the government is lying to us and building to the fence to keep us in rather than keep Mexicans out. I do not see any merit in this fantasy.

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

If used as a metaphor. I do.

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Ron Paul is far too much of a conspiracy theorist for my taste, and his own platform seeks to strip the Federal government of so much authority (as if state government is somehow findamentally better?) that it would destroy the ability of the United States to function as an effective union.

He can talk all he wants of government plots to control us, but the fact is we are doing it to ourselves. There is no dark room in DC where plots are hatched to enslave America - we are enslaving ourselves though our own willfull ignorance and prejudice.

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I think of Paul's statement as a metaphor (which is why I said "interesting") describing the various programs required to really fortify the border will impinge so greatly on the Constitutional freedoms of Americans that it's dangerous.

Americans are increasingly willing to allow CBP searches at checkpoints throughout the southwest and deep within United States territory and other programs like REAL ID will just push that envelope further.

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

This is very troublesome, but I am not so sure it is a uniquely American trait. People in general would rather not exercise the grey lump enough to comprehend the complexities of socio-economic issues, so they play WoW or watch NASCAR or weed the garden and deal with polemics by latching on to someone who seems to know whereof they speak (this swings both ways).

I think it is a big question whether willful ignorance can be addressed in an effective way. It appears to be a part of human nature. Perhaps people could actually be trained to respond with skepticism and questions when presented with schemes and "facts", but I am, oh IDK, skeptical that even that could succeed.