Cal Poly faculty, students want Chick-fil-A banned. University says that’s ‘censorship

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 15, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/c...tJOkNxdnTzI2Qt-ijFbANIYesYqPdDyjYqzljjcE_vcyQ
    don't like it there? don't eat there.

2. Herdfan macrumors 6502

3. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

wonder how many of them use gas on their cars that comes from the Middle East where they stone gays to death........

4. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

5. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

6. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Shhhh. You’re using logic. We can’t have that in an emotionally driven argument.

Thanks for this thread. Now I’m craving CFA. Guess they get more business from me today.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There's a difference between the Cathy family, the Chick-Fil-A Foundation, and the Chick-Fil-A business. As far as I'm aware - and the article does not contradict this - the Chick-Fil-A business does not discriminate against anyone.

The owners donate money to causes they support, just as many of us do. Would you want your employer to fire you for donating your money to a cause they disagree with?

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I don't care if they are at the polar opposite of my philosophies and ideals. I just want the chicken sandwich, asap!

9. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

If enough students boycott the campus Chick-fil-A, they will go away voluntarily.

#notabigdealunlessyoumakeitone

10. Zenithal macrumors 604

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

12. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I may just have to have some Hate Chicken for lunch. Thanks for the suggestion.

13. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Oh man, their breakfast sandwich is how they got my wife and me. We were at a University and Chick-Fil-A was giving away breakfast sandwiches for free. We fell for it. There must be heroin or something inside, kinda like girl scout cookies.

14. Solver macrumors 6502a

I’m more likely to order a chicken sandwich from a company that fights against authoritarians than one that caves in to it.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

"Authoritarians have the best chicken sandwiches!" (TM)

16. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I don't understand what's so special about their chicken sandwiches. They seem solidly average among similarly-priced fast food chicken sandwiches.

17. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm sympathetic to this idea, but to make it clear the Cathy family earns money from the business, so money given to Chick-Fil-A is theoretically money that can be used to promote anti-LGTBQ causes. That said, I think you make a good point about how an owner's politics shouldn't be so strictly tied to the business.

The university's response is wrong, it's not "censorship" to eject a business for the stances of its owners. It might be foolish and rife for legal challenge, but it's not censorship.

And, I think that if students and faculty at Cal Poly dislike the business, they should feel free to boycott them, but demanding the business be banned is wrong.

I will agree with @ActionableMango, Chick-Fil-A is highly overrated. It's one of the better fast-food places, but like In-N-Out, it's still fast food.

There's a hot chicken food truck that takes Chick-Fil-A to the mat any day of the week, and twice on Sundays. And, a local chicken-n-waffles place would be embarrassed to serve Chick-Fil-A's greasy, bland food.

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

But this is 'Muerica. We don't believe in democracy; we don't believe in votingo_O (with our wallets).:D If we don't like something, we want laws to ban it. That's why we keep demanding "ban assault rifles, ban gay marriage, ban Chick-Fil-A.":rolleyes: Ban, ban, ban! So let it be written, so let it be done.:p

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

The first hit is always free. ... Except strangely the girlguide thin mint cookies, but I'm hooked all the same.

I got to say though if girl guides started banning LGBT kids from attending their clubs and camps, I'd probably quit cold turkey. It'd be painful, but that small protest would be the most direct way to for me to truly change 'capitalist' thinking about an issue.