Calibration of Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sanadoo, Jul 16, 2008.

1. sanadoo macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I'm very new to this, my first post. I searched forums, but didn't see anything too helpful for this particular situation. I am working on an Powerbook connected to a HP LP3065 30 monitor. I need to use a custom color profile, which I have put in my library/colorsync/profile. However, when I go to the Color Pane of my Display preferences, the icc file does not show up for selection..... Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

At the very least, try logging out and back in. If that doesn't work, restart.

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Try using the ColorSync application under /Applications/Utilities/ColorSync

Select your display on the left. Next to "Current Profile" you will see an arrow/button pointing down. Click on that and choose Other. Navigate to your new profile. If it is selectable I believe you will be ok. If it is greyed out then there may be a problem with the profile as in permissions/ownership etc.

See if that fixes your problem in System Preferences -> Display

5. sanadoo thread starter macrumors newbie

ColorSync Application

Hi Merlin, Thanks so very much - partially. That got me a bit farther than where I started, but still stuck. I used hte application, found the profile, did a verify on it to check it was ok. Then when I went to Current Profile and selected the .icc file, the computer just beeped, did not give me any messages and did not change the current profile. Basically, everything stayed the same. The .icc file I want to use is there and not grayed out, but it will not make it the current profile....

Any further suggestions?

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You need to use an actual monitor calibrator and the software that comes with it. The calibrator software would typically place a profile in the right place and set it.

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Launch Terminal and become the "root user".

sudo -s (hit return key)

Then navigate to the folder containing the profiles (including yours)

cd (drag the folder containing the profiles from a finder window to this terminal window and it will put in the correct path. Then hit a return key).

Example: I use an ACD display so my path is: /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays
    So I would issue the command as such:
    cd /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays

Now compare the files by issuing:

ls -al (return)

Post the output of the results here.

To exit from the "root user":

exit

8. sanadoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Calibration....

I think that may be a little over my head. I'm concerned about doing something in Terminal I don't know how to do. But thank you for the suggestion. I'll have to figure out a solution I can do that I might not screw up and crash the entire system on.