Calif. City Pays Young Men in Exchange for Not Pulling the Trigger

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 7, 2016.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

2. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

try watching it. seems to be successful to a degree.

3. FieldingMellish Suspended

4. thermodynamic, Apr 7, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I suppose it costs less to bribe than to lock them up.

How come people who go to college end up having to pay through the teeth because college costs are sky high yet gang people that would rather shoot each other bloody for the sake of their preferred back alley get a free ride?

Before anyone says it, college costs are sky high because companies want people with college degrees. Supply and demand. It doesn't really matter who owns the loan, and as degree requisites go up, college will also drive down education quality - which is why a 4-year degree is now as worthwhile as a high school diploma was decades ago. It's a vicious circle, wait until a master's degree is a minimum requisite. Liberals will loved to be blamed then, but they're used to being scapegoated for everything, even the things that contract everything else they're blamed for. :p
    --- Post Merged, Apr 7, 2016 ---
    Addendum - I decided to watch the video. It didn't need to be loaded with mawkish piano key tinkle music to make one feel horrible for the situation, or for the person who's lost his friends. The whole video was well-polished, but it's too polished and the music and verbiage are crafted to massage emotion a little too much. Which is why I hesitated to watch the video in the first place, so much of it is the same sort of emotional wanking that glosses over so much and resolves nothing. It's no different back when the news outlets complained about gridlock and road rage. Though solutions are becoming viable. But I digress:

Maybe an initial payout and education and CBT so people don't slaughter each other over one stinking Facebook post might go in a better direction and last a lot longer. Christian values, common sense values, evolved value, whatever the descriptive term, seem to be lost in so many ways nowadays. Can society have some music and articles discussing the core causes of problems instead of treating symptoms as core causes? :(

5. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

title has a pretty good description, gang members are getting paid for "good behavior", in essence getting a paycheck, the max seems to be $1300 per month, flaw seems to be that the "proof" the gang member have that they are NOT shooting others is they are not being caught, the numbers they put forward are pretty solid BUT as said, there seem to be loopholes in their approach.

6. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

thanks for the link.

7. FieldingMellish Suspended

Will that work with ISIS, or at they permanently into the I don't give a *****?

8. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

come on.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I think the government ha paid terrorists not to attack.

10. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

er, Obama trained the terrorist .

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I didn't shoot anybody last month either......can I get the checks mailed to me or do I have to go get them in person??

12. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

find out what it takes to be in the program, so far you need to be a resident of the city in question :p
    --- Post Merged, Apr 7, 2016 ---
    hope they indeed get the help they need AND turn their lives around.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

certainly I'm allowed to swear I'm a resident at the same time I'm swearing I didn't shoot anybody?

14. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

yes, the program seems to have faults, still hope the participants don't go full retard & just cash out while committing crimes

15. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

There is an episode of the Freakonomics Podcast about this program. It's worth listening to. The idea seems to be two-fold: (1) removing the desperation that drives some people to crime (being poor with no other way to provide for yourself), and (2) adding an incentive to not commit crime (money). The theory is that if these kids had a legal way to provide for themselves for long enough, eventually they would not choose to go back to crime. So far it's shown to be working.

The counter-argument is that while this program is good for the immediate, you have to go further back to see why these kids couldn't provide for themselves to begin with, why the public schools failed to prepare them adequately, and why their family background drove to this desperate outcome. Perhaps instead of paying $1000/month to each kid in a gang, maybe the government should increase spending on public schools and social programs that help families with kids at about the same rate of $1000/month/kid. Something tells me ultimately it is less costly to prevent this from happening than addressing it later.

I'm glad they are trying new things with the people for whom that is too late, but I would also like to see them spending money to address the issue earlier. Surely one of these kids has a baby of their own - how do we as a society ensure that baby is in the best possible position to not follow in its parents' footsteps to gang violence?

16. FieldingMellish Suspended

Is paying criminals not to commit crime less costly than arresting and jailing them?

Or is there a racial aspect to this? I mean, you've got jails crowded with people of color (or so we've been told time and again by the left, and who see that as a big problem) and now Obama's been cutting them loose. I think there's some devious connection going on here. Cut loose and paid.

17. jkcerda thread starter Suspended

jkcerda

http://www.lao.ca.gov/PolicyAreas/CJ/6_cj_inmatecost
    cheaper by such a long shot it's not even funny, STILL I feel uncomfortable with the idea.

18. FieldingMellish Suspended

Thanks. Okay, that's California, a high cost state that is lavish with prison benefits.

How about prisons in Podunk ? Maybe the cost of a Joe Arpaio prison ? Bet it's cheaper than preventive criminal pay.

19. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

perhaps because paying somebody to not commit a crime feels a bit like paying extortion, or paying for "protection"?

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

Exactly. Especially when they demand a raise. Then it'd be like dealing with a union. Only worse. A strike would mean ... Well, kind of like the annual torching of Ferguson.

21. chown33 macrumors 604

Here are some cost examples:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incarceration_in_the_United_States#Cost
    State prisons averaged $31,286 per inmate in 2010 according to a Vera Institute of Justice study. It ranged from $14,603 in Kentucky to $60,076 in New York.[182]

Joe Arpaio runs county jails, not prisons. Different things.

22. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Costs way too much to instead lock them up for 967-year sentences:

Sacramento-area robber gets 967 years plus under 3 strikes law

http://legacy.abc10.com/story/news/...-967-years-plus-under-3-strikes-law/24342313/

A man found guilty of multiple robberies in which he had a gun has been sentenced in Sacramento Superior Court to the rest of his life in prison.

Gregory Aaron Gadlin was given 530 years to life in prison plus 437 years, 4 months in prison for convictions on 16 counts of robbery and two counts of being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition under California's "three strikes" law, according to the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office.

Gadlin, a parolee, was accused of robbing mostly convenience stores and gas stations at gunpoint between May 2013 through July 2013. The D.A.'s Office stated in one crime, Gadlin fired a shot at a clerk and missed. Three days later, in another robbery, he shot a clerk in the torso and hand.

Gadlin's previous three-strikes convictions were for two first-degree robberies and a robbery in which he used a gun.

Featured in this Lockup episode: