Calif. Gubernatorial Candidate Employed Illegal Immigrant for Nine Years

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bradl, Sep 30, 2010.

1. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

To borrow a quote from some unknown Californian businessman, "This... changes everything."

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/09/30/3067345/whitman-discloses-she-employed.html

She had been going at a good clip as far as keeping anything scandalous out of the news. But now.. this is going to get nasty.

BL.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Can you spell hypocrite?

H-y-p-o-c-r-i-t-e

There. I knew you could.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Reporting someone who's essentially part of your family to the INS doesn't seem something people would do.

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

That can't be completely true. I'm sure your brother gets use out of her particular spaces.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And just one more reason why I'm voting third party, I can't stand Meg Whitman, but Jerry Brown messed up a lot of things the last time he was governor, so I don't trust him to do it again.

6. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Reading further from a other sources. When it was discovered her worker was illegal she was fired. The SSA rarely if ever; read never; goes out of their way to inform people who have less than one such employee in their hire.

Regardless, it is the least of issues I think Californian's need to be worried about. What they need are politicians willing to take on the SEIU and teachers unions to get pay and benefits in line with what society can afford. I don't know about either of their governor candidates to make a choice, other than I am quite sure Brown would be in the union's back pockets

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So she didn't knowingly employ an illegal? Not sure it's a big deal if she thought she was legal. It is not like she was hiding her in the basement for 10 years.

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

You're right. It was only 9.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But did she purposely not pay her or hide her from the authorities?

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It looks like she tried to verify that she was legal as she was supposed to, then ignored notifications that showed her housekeeper was illegal.

If she wants to play the "I didn't know because the lady lied" card....how is she going to continue rallying against businesses for this when she's seen first hand that its hard to verify?

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Here's how you know Whitman is either lying or politically clueless.

If Whitman's story was true, she could have effectively weaved it into her political narrative and used it to illustrate her integrity and the credibility of her stance on illegal immigrants.

Consuela was like family to me. [tears well up] But when I found out she was here illegally, there was only one thing for me to do. I immediately contacted the INS, had them hog-tie her to the hood of a Hummer and drive her back to the God-forsaken country that she came from.

The fact that she let this issue only come to light this late in the election is just stoo-pid. Had she brought this to light earlier (again, assuming Whitman isn't lying) it would have been forgotten a long time ago.

Any time someone would try to score points on it, she could just say, "Yes. And when I found out, I turned her in...I turned her in... I turned her in."

So politically clueless or a liar? I don't know. We'll just have to wait and see.

How can you have less than one person in your hire?* :confused:

*Don't you hate people who try to score cheap points off of typos? I know I do.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm sick and tired of the nanny issue biting candidates and appointed officials in the ass. What we should be screaming about is how a person can spend $119+ million of their own money to try and buy a Senate seat.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

But its freedom of speech! :rolleyes:

14. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

She wouldn't need to hide her, and who said anything about her not being paid?

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Remember they will do the work for next to nothing.;) Did she pay her a full wage or next to nothing?

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It clearly says $21 an hour in the article. Why do you ask? I'm lost here.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Thats why I don't see this as a huge deal. If she was willingly paying her 3 bucks an hour because she was known to be illegal it would be a bigger deal.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It's a big deal because of the sheer hypocrisy of it all.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Did she pick her up at Home Depot?

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Wow, so these kinds of things only matter if they devolve into disgusting stereotypes?

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

She either knew from that start that she was illegal or she didn't. Did she willingly go hunting for an illegal nanny or not?

22. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What makes you say that?

Either way what does it matter? According to her own platform she should be held accountable.

23. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

LOL

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So we should just be able to tell who is legal or not? Sounds like the Arizona law.

25. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Did you read the damn article?