California and proposed tax breaks and credits on green cars?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Mar 12, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

1) Does anybody know about any current California tax breaks on tax credits on hybrid cars, or who is an authority I can trust on the internet?

2) This green tax break/credit is something I heard the Govenator hint at, and even when he seems to have a good idea (which he rarely follows up on), the Democrats in Sacramento shoot down those few good ideas he has just to be mean spirited. Most of the time the Govenator just plain stinks, and has built no goodwill with the people, as new GOP front runners in the next election are being up front about.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I thought California was in the hole 40 billion, what are they giving tax cuts for?

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I thought you were one of the people who thought tax cuts resulted in more tax income?

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

It allows people to keep money that is rightfully theirs, that doesn't say anything about the overspending California is doing though. Lower taxes should be a long term builder of prosperity, unfortunately California has large deficits in the short term. They need to cut some programs.

On top of this green cars don't have a governmental tax levied on them. You are giving credits. If the government was charging 4000 on each car surplus to its market value and then you wanted to cut that for green cars I wouldn't have a problem.

5. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

My uneducated guess/stab in the dark is that Arnold wants to "look" green.

I am so glad when he will leave Sacto!:D

6. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I recall some hybrid tax breaks, but for some reason I think they might have been federal. Didn't apply to me, so I didn't pay a lot of attention.

California-wise, you can still get a sticker that lets you in the car pool lane for some hybrids, but only some. A Prius, yes. A Lexus RX400h, no. I think the number of stickers available is limited to a certain number per year, though.

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Funny that he single handedly started the hummer craze flying around in his humvees.