California approves free phones, internet for fostered youth

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Apr 26, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://www.foxla.com/news/local-new...TWHZ5sTC05H8kvkVDYBHpIcxC76-iCCl1mqYtetdNbWg8
    it's not free, WE pay for it and I have no problems with it, hope they use it to learn and hopefully find a way to be self sufficient when out of the system.

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

At least they’re not giving away free helicopters to foster parents, yet.

3. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

More and more, wireless connectivity is becoming more like a utility than an option. Starting when our oldest two got to middle school, we began to notice more and more that schools would do things (classroom activities, events, etc) that assume that everyone had a smartphone.

For kids in foster care, and especially those that age out, this seems to make sense to me. It’s getting to the point where you practically can’t even be employed without a cellphone. My son has worked two different jobs (fast food and grocery). Both of his managers communicated mainly via text. He could not have had either job unless we got him a phone.

4. Solver macrumors 6502a

I can see it now,
    “The right to be given free Internet service plus a free smartphone shall not be infringed.”

5. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

...unless “we” got him a cell phone?! Couldn’t he at least chip in something?

6. raqball macrumors 68000

Don't they already have a kiosk / tent on every street corner offering free Obama phones?

7. BeeGood, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019

BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

It probably wasn’t very obvious based on my first post, but this (what you posted) is absolutely not OK in my book.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2019 ---
    The problem is that “we” are the parents in this situation. They’re foster kids but they’re still wards of the state. Except, once you age out, the “parent relationship” is over, whether the kid is ready for that or not.

EDIT: Also, understand that I’m not necessarily advocating for this, I’m just saying that it’s probably not the worst idea in the world. It’s targeted, limited and has a specific purpose that actually makes sense, which is more than we can say about most things of this nature.

8. LordVic macrumors 603

I know you kid,

But ruling that internet as a basic human right may not be so far fetched in this day of age. Or at least essential service.

the question is, if you do setit up as sort of an essential service, how do you combine the rights of the people to have access while also providing free market incentives?

I like the idea we did with TV up here, for the internet. A "cheap" basic internet package regulated that all providers MUST provide at an affordable rate (like a $10/mth 10mbps connection, with 20gb cap, to provide basic connectivity), but with the same free market (kind of laughable since it's not really free market now) packages available for those who wish for better service.

9. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

hope we never end up there, BUT that said I am glad those kids are not being left out. this is one thing I can support the theft of my tax dollars being used on......

10. linuxcooldude macrumors 68020

Meme Fridays
    --- Post Merged, Apr 26, 2019 ---
    I agree somewhat. Some jobs or programs require getting online. But I'm not sure if free phones are the way to go. Most schools/libraries/public spaces are free to use. But not an easy solution. One costs a lot of money, the other might restrict access.

11. pshufd macrumors 6502a

There are financial benefits to giving out free computing equipment (phones, computers, network service) in that it can greatly reduce government costs. The IRS used to send out tons of forms and booklets. Now it just points you to their website - but people need a way to access the website. Many just go to the public library for hardware and connectivity but it's often inconvenient. I'm rather amazed at what you can do online for government stuff that you have to deal with.

It's also the decision of the State of CA - if you don't like it, talk to your representative or move to another state.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good god you spend $100k a year for kids in foster care and then $50k a year when they go to prison. Why the **** do you care if they get a free phone?

They have no inheritance or advantage. Free phones are massively cheaper than prison. They need every advantage they can get.

13. Zenithal macrumors G3

A lot of the old is changing to the new. In other words, we're going to see less and less dependence on classic methods of attaining employment and more of it being digital from here on out. For me, even as I lean right politically, I see this as a positive measure. It means they can attain legal employment and not rely on prostitution or get into drugs to make ends meet. Besides, you can chip these phones so you can track them as a monitor.

Hell, it isn't hard to install a corporate monitor that hides in the background of today's smartphones and the user won't know it's there.