California ballot initiative to extend personal tax increase of education and healthcare

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by moonman239, Mar 11, 2016.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Petitions are currently circulating to put a proposition - called the "TAX EXTENSION TO FUND EDUCATION AND HEALTHCARE" - to amend the California state constitution to increase personal tax payment to fund K-12 and community college education, as well as healthcare. According to the Office of the Attorney General, the proposal "Extends by twelve years the temporary personal income tax increases enacted in 2012 on earnings over $250,000 (for single filers; over $500,000 for joint filers; over $340,000 for heads of household). Allocates these tax revenues 89% to K-12 schools and 11% to California Community Colleges. Allocates up to $2 billion per year in certain years for healthcare programs."

It would prohibit use of education funds for "administrative costs", but otherwise allow local school boards to decide how their funding will be spent, with the stipulation that these decisions be made in meetings that are open to the public. The budgets would also be "subject to annual audit".

For the reference, the ballot initiative is classified as #15-0115A1.

Source: https://oag.ca.gov/system/files/initiatives/pdfs/Title and Summary (15-0115)_0.pdf

2. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

So I grew up in California and the Lottery was supposed to fund all of this. Where is that money?

I distinctly recall the motto when it started being something like "our kids win too". I can see that's gone well. What did they cut education funding by the same amount the lottery was bringing in?

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

It's not for education. That's just the excuse

4. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

No doubt unfunded pension liabilities.

5. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

As a California college student, this is one initiative I will be voting against.

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

I used to have a job where many of my customers were public school teachers and they would all talk about their annual Lottery bonus. When my boss finally asked them what they meant they explained that the state Lottery money ended up as bonuses to the poor underpaid teachers. Not one dime ended up in the classroom. They used to brag and gloat about it.
    This was over 20-years ago now and this was only one school district so maybe things have changed.

7. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

On a related note, the University of California appears to have come under some fire last October for some alleged spending problems of its own. According to a Los Angeles Times article, the university may be spending too much on its administration and not enough on education. According to the article, Bain & Co efficiency experts found that there were too many managers.

Source: http://www.latimes.com/local/education/la-me-uc-spending-20151011-story.html

8. Robisan macrumors 6502

The CA Lottery "sent more than $1 billion a year to public education" which is "only about 1% of public education’s overall needs." The funding proposed in the OP would provide "state revenues annually from 2019 through 2030—likely in the $5 billion to $11 billion range initially— with amounts varying based on stock market and economic trends." (source in OP)