California bans "Pray the gay away" therapy for minors

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Sep 30, 2012.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Great news.

2. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

3. vega07 macrumors 65816

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

+1

5. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Being a citizen of the UK I sometimes forget how far right some of american politics can be in comparison to ours. Especially with issues such as these in what is considered to be a free country. However, I am very happy to see that there are people out there trying to change such issues and make such choices truly free for everyone! Fantastic news.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Glad to hear it.

Although you know and I know that this ban on psychosexual quackery will soon be characterized as "an attack on our religious freedoms" by those on the right.

7. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

That is so good to hear. I don't understand how the pushers of pray the gay away could see any good coming from their religious claptrap.

The California youth now have a chance at being undisturbed or psychologically scared for the rest of their lives.

KGB:cool:

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Sadly there are people I know who think this is horrible that California did this.

I often tell them that if they don't like someone being gay, then when they die they can tell God to his face that they think his designs are flawed. That generally shuts them up.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

They usually respond that this is a choice, and not a design of god.

That's where the problem starts. Ignorance, or outright rejection, of the Human psyche.

10. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It's about time. Let's let our health profession be driven by health professionals. Not religion. Nothing wrong with religion but let's keep the two separated.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I bet banning those therapies will be a lot harder further south...

12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Mexico, Central America and South America? California does border Mexico. Perhaps you meant the southern US? Perhaps I'm niggling but we are all bound by geography.

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, sorry - Southern U.S.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Well done.

What shocked me more was when I found out that the Netherlands has the same kind of crap.

Minister removes Christian anti-gay therapy from health insurance

Tuesday 05 June 2012

Therapy provided by a Christian mental health group to help homosexuals 'repress their sinful urges' is being removed from the basic health package, health minister Edith Schippers told parliament in a briefing on Tuesday.

In January, the minister said she found it 'bizarre' that the treatment offered by the orthodox Christian organisation Different was being paid for by health insurers. However, because the Different is officially recognised as a provider of therapies, insurers could not refuse to pay.

Now health inspectors have investigated Different and said there is no question of people 'wrestling' with their homosexual feelings having psychiatric problems because of their religious beliefs, reports the Telegraaf.

Such people should seek pastoral care which should not be paid for by health insurance, the inspectors say. 'In these cases, there is no question of a psychiatric diagnosis or psychiatric treatment,' they say.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2012/06/minister_removes_psychiatric_c.php

It must be stressed that people who use these groups, are part of the Dutch Reformed Church.
    They also shun injections, blood transfusions, they are kind of like the Amish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Reformed_Church