California becomes first state to require solar panels on new homes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, May 9, 2018.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

This is definitely a case of too much government and companies engaged in rent seeking, (yeah, I'm looking at you Tesla). This move will add up to $12,000 to the cost of a new house. Now, I'm all in favour of people choosing to install solar or wind on their houses as a matter of choice, but to be required to by the state is just a step too far, but is to be expected in a state like California. So glad I moved away from there.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...st-state-to-require-solar-panels-on-new-homes

2. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Given the situation the planet is in, the state should regulate things like this IMO.

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

And in Florida, I believe, you can’t even get solar panels because of the regulations. Maybe this will balance that out.

4. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I agree.
    Stuff like this is bad for competition. Is the state going to limit how much solar panels will cost too?

If it is now required, the prices for panels and the install could go up.

5. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Also, just $80 a month??? I save $400 a month in the summer in NJ.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Makes sense - unless your house is in the shade of trees. I wonder if the grid can handle the additional power that will be generated.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Good idea. One that was actually suggested by a Conservative friend at the weekend.

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

They probably need to come up with hurricane proof solar panels, I can see that as one big road block on that area of the country.

Generally I like this idea, the more energy collected the less demanded from other sources.

9. MarkusL macrumors 6502

In a sunny state with high demand for air conditioning this is likely to reduce the strain on the grid. Producing electricity closer to the point of consumption will simplify delivery.

10. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I like this idea, especially for new houses being built, and most of the new houses that are being built in Southern California are being done so out in the "boonies" so to speak. Especially outside of Los Angeles County going into Riverside/San Bernadino counties which is where a lot of folks are building.

11. Zenithal macrumors 604

This is great for solar companies and installers in the state. We have future plans of building a house or buying an even larger one and solar has been on our minds for a while now. Whole house generators and batteries to boot.

As @rhett7660 pointed out, most new lego constructions are further inland, where sun is plenty. We plan on building alongside the coast, just a bit inland to get an acre or two of land. If you've ever been on any coastline in the states, you'll realize it's more often cloudy than not. I'm not sure how effective modern solar panels are.

12. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I wish there was a public fund here in Cali that would allow existing homeowners to put solor on their home to generate extra power for the grid.

I'd love to do it, but in looking into the cost for me, unless I could come up with the 25k to purchase outright, I would end up only saving ~7 a month. Cost versus hassle just isn't there for me.

13. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

If the additional cost of buying the home with solar panels is more than offset by lower utility bills, then I don't see the problem.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

It’s seems like there are potentially a lot of oversights here. The first being most solar panels come from China and tend to heavily pollute the environment where they’re made since there is little regulation. Preventing pollution in one area by unnecessarily polluting another doesn’t seem like a great solution to me. I think this should be considered in choosing what products can be used.

Additionally, California’s real estate prices are wildly expensive. Forcing people to spend an extra $12,000+ could very well push people into the used market and create even more competition there while hurting the construction market.

15. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

^I agree. Although I'm all for solar power and battery-powered cars and what not, one must be careful that the production of such things doesn't generate the same pollution they're intended to prevent.

Our house is in a grove of redwoods and oaks and doesn't receive much sun anyway; there are solar panels on our property, but they're not on the roof, they're out in the open area by the vegetable garden that receives the most sun. So I wonder how that would work, especially for people who live in foggy areas or have houses that are almost entirely shaded by trees. Seems like they wouldn't be of much benefit there.

I wouldn't mind encouraging people to include solar panels in new construction or offering incentives, but requiring it seems like a step too far.

16. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Mine work just fine when it’s cloudy. Doesn’t produce as much as a long sunny day but they still produce.

18. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

This is the thing that makes me laugh about people's ignorance of solar panels. If it's overcast, sure they won't produce as much energy, but the facts of physics dictate that if you can SEE with your eyes then photons have to be flying about ripe for energy production.

Solar panels will always generate electricity over a certain threshold of light exposure, regardless of whether they are in direct sunlight or not.