California Budget Crisis - Schwarzenegger and Dems. vs "fiscally irresponsible" Reps.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cleverboy, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-budget1-2008sep01,0,6965137.story
    http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_10346368?source=most_viewed

Even MORE bad news for GOP convention planners?

~ CB

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Look at the photo of Ahnold. Would you **** with a politician who looked like that?

Anyway, from what I read there, I think Ahnold and the Dems are right. If you don't want to hurt social services, you can't close the budget gap without any additional income. There's no magic wand. The alternative is to try and make all services operate more efficiently, but since that will never happen, raise taxes, or stop cutting taxes when things are going well, particularly to corporations when they're making more money than ever.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Two months late... inexcusable. It's reached a state of ridiculousness that I could never have expected, not even from our government.

After the deadline passes, they shouldn't be allowed to leave until they pass a budget. After three days the people can revoke their food privileges, and after five days we could revoke their bathroom privileges. From that point, I guarantee a decision will be reached within 5 hours, tops.

I'm sick of it. Come this November no incumbents allowed.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Funny that Schwartzenegger now faces the same problems that he argued were a reason to kick Grey Davis out of office.

If he had any sense of decency, he would now resign after admitting that he was no better than Davis at solving the state's budget problems.

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

We should move the election for state offices to the first week in August and pass a law that freezes campaign funds for state officials once the deadline passes.

I'm also for mandating a 10 hour - 6 day workweek, wherein state officials are required to stay in Sacramento for a month prior to the deadline. If they pass the deadline, they're required to stay in Sacramento for an entire year without returning to their districts.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

64 days late, and into our third month without a budget, yet no sign of a compromise in sight.

At this point we might as well give up on this year and start working on next year's budget; we might even make the deadline. :rolleyes:

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Could one, or more, of my CA friends shed a little light on what the issues are here? The executive overview would be great. I have caught bits and pieces, but really do not understand what is going on. Unfortunately, I do not have time to do my own research right now.

8. killr_b macrumors 6502a

killr_b

Maybe it would help if I told you the difference between "a budget" and "gross cash receipts."

If I make $100 per week and I tell my wife that her "budget" is $50 per week for the expenses of the house, she never knows how much money there really is. Then, lets say groceries go up in price, she says to me, "hey, the new cost of eating brings our monthly expenses for the house to $60 per week. I need a "budget increase" of $10 per week." And instead of telling her what the "gross cash receipts" are and that there is plenty of money to cover the increase, I tell her she has to get a job, or second job, to cover the increase.

THE BUDGET IS A SCAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They NEVER tell you the "gross cash receipts" of our state, which means we NEVER KNOW HOW MUCH MONEY WE ACTUALLY HAVE.

What's the first thing the IRS asks for? The total of your gross cash receipts.