California Budget Crisis

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Nov 18, 2016.

1. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What crisis?

We're looking at a nearly three billion dollar budget surplus. :)
    That happened under a Democratic governor and Democrat controlled legislature. And look at the fiscally irresponsible rhetoric coming from Governor Brown, now that he has some money to spend ...
    So maybe we can lay to rest (at least for a while) how bad things are in California and give Democrats their due for helping to steer the state back into the black.

2. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

I live in California. We are boom bust economy. Right now, a tech boom is going on that is bringing in a ton of revenue. Same thing happened in the 90s. But CA budgets for the peaks and goes into deficit when we have a recession. We rarely have mild recessions.

Let's not forget the pension obligations.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sacbee...government/capitol-alert/article66904557.html

3. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

I'd suggest meditation.

4. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I tried it, ended up being nervous.
    coffee will do for the time being.

5. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

If you have a budget surplus and it's not due to cuts then you are being overtaxed. That's why I left California many years ago. Looks like things haven't changed. My current state also has a surplus, due to cuts and some over taxation (this time by republicans). If the books aren't balanced then the citizens are getting screwed.

6. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

That's the opposite from what should be the effect. But it's not unusual for initial attempts to be a bit disconcerting.

As for the article you cited—which had the same information I provided—the budget surplus is despite lower than expected tax revenues. It's an interesting aspect, but do you think there's more to it that needs discussing?

And this is before any pot sales. There should be another ~billion coming in from that.

7. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Are they going to service any of that half trillion worth of debt they are carrying around?

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Different story in Connecticut. We have a democrat governor and they controlled the budget and we are 1.3 billion in debt. And were 900 million in debt last year.

9. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

What cuts are you suggesting California undertake? As Governor Brown is suggesting, the surplus shouldn't be spent down and instead could be a cushion in the next inevitable downturn. Isn't that being financially responsible?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2016 ---
    Connecticut should be the new meme for a poorly run state. With Florida taking the title of being the nuttiest state, there'll hardly be anything to talk about regarding California anymore.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

No argument here. The democrats have run this state into the ground.

11. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

You need to get yourself some Californian Democrats.

Like our wine and pot ... they're top notch.

12. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Well they better save that money and come up with contingencies when federal funding gets cut to that state due to their stance on Sanctuary cities and harboring illegals.

13. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

What form of federal spending does the state get that would be cut off?

14. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You're posting nonsense as usual rather than something which can be verified. You're right that they should save that money. As @Dmunjal pointed out, we're in a boom period at the moment.

15. edk99 macrumors 6502a

No clue but Trump has made it pretty clear that he will cut federal funds to states that provide safe harbor for illegals. I guess we will see.

16. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I live in CA and find the topic of secession from the US an interesting one. A coworker pointed out we would lose federal funds. But we also wouldn’t be sending any money to the federal government. I don’t know where that would put things.

I think after each presidential election an infographic should be made making red states and blue states into their own country with info like GDP, average income, population, education level, incarceration rate, etc.

17. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Ummm. Pension obligations anyone? I know how this is being in NY. We also have a parasitical public workforce that's never happy and enough is always just short of enough.

Budget surplus and California just don't mix. Why don't they repay it back to the taxpayers? Yeah RIGHT.

18. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

California is slated to receive over 6 billion in federal funds (grants, loans, etc) for FY2017.
    I doubt all of it would be cut off, but I'm sure the feds will try and cut off some of it.

Source

19. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

It always amuses me when people see public employees as some alien species or like they are all the slow moving DMV employee.

20. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

21. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Like I said, you post nothing but nonsense (and it's an individual thing, not a conservative thing).

22. haxrnick macrumors 6502a

haxrnick

Heard this morning that the total would be around 1 billion that could potentially be cut.

23. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

That article was a little tl;dr for me at the moment. Does it say how much money CA sends to the federal government?

A quick google found this article showing CA is ranked 46th in being dependent on the federal government, 1 being the most dependent.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

Doesn't seem to me we'd be too screwed without it.

24. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

It was more specific to the city of San Francisco.

Luckily a lot of the money supports the poor ... so nobody is going to care about them suffering.