California considering text message tax

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 12, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-worl...2bxgWV2DxYpUJ5-0MlO_lyhn3l2sd30L_C5HezSZIQCTE
    thought the obamaphones were free..........................

2. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

My first thought on this was … do iMessages count? Sucks for android users I guess? Talk about taxes and taxes as a solution to all problems!

"The wireless industry says the texting tax would put them at a disadvantage over other free messaging services like Whatsapp, Facebook messenger, Apple's i-Message and others."

The article I read didn't state that (different source). Heh I guess not.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 12, 2018 ---
    Can't tell you how many times here in the high desert I got offered one of those phones. All I had to show was "proof" my income was low enough - and it was so easy to do so (according to the person trying to sell me a free phone). They were up here a lot in the high desert for years.

3. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Meanwhile in a state that has given billions in tax breaks to the Tech giants.....

This is what austerity looks like folks. Transfer wealth to the top, then have the rest of us make up the slack when there aren't funds because of that transfer.

4. Solver, Dec 12, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2018

Solver macrumors 6502a

The state takith, keepeth most and givith back some.

Edit: changed spelling

5. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

"keepeth most".

An "-eth" ending would be applied to verbs, not adjectives or nouns. Mostethly.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Language evolveths.

7. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

8. chown33 Moderator

Staff Member

Yay, verily.

9. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I doubt it will happen, but it would probably be some arbitrary tax placed on the bill like all of those bogus taxes and fees for cable service.

10. kobalap macrumors 6502

11. Solver macrumors 6502a

Sometimes I see language devolveth.

12. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

On the news this morning they did mention that it would not be applicable to iMessage and some others.

^This. The case they're making is that they can no longer really tax based on calls because people text more but a text is far easier and quicker than a call, that's why we us it more. To tax based on this is ridiculous to me, as a Liberal even I'm fed up with the "tax every tiny thing because you can" mentality in CA.

13. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

14. Solver macrumors 6502a

Looks like Californians will start going underground and using IDM apps (International Dark Messaging)

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

back to email! Or ICQ! (IRC is even better)

16. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

From what I can see it will be strictly based on carrier so any other service will be exempt. But yean, could you imagine being taxed per email? Just as ridiculous as what they're proposing now.

17. Solver macrumors 6502a

Next thing they’ll try is taxing comments on Macrumors. :eek:

18. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The mods hate this forum as it is, don't give them any ideas! :D

19. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The CPUC is not proposing to increase overall surcharges on wireless carrier revenues. They are simply proposing to assess the surcharges on all wireless revenues, including revenues from texting services. Right now, the wireless carriers separate out texting-related revenues from the revenues used to determine these surcharges. The surcharges are used to fund a set budgeted amount, so the total amount collected won’t go up. These are charges assessed to the carriers based on revenue that will presumably continue to be recovered from customers through monthly surcharges. They are not proposing some sort of per-text tax. Here’s the CPCUC’s proposed decision: http://docs.cpuc.ca.gov/PublishedDocs/Efile/G000/M238/K227/238227359.PDF

20. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

so we pay for it anyways........

21. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

What CA needs to do is offer a monthly subscription to use the carpool lane regardless of how many people are in your car. They’d make more money than the current ticket scam the carpool lane is, traffic would actually move, and we’d probably have a budget surplus. There, I solved it.

22. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

True but it's always good to know the policy behind it.

23. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

no, our taxes already paid for the roads, this is the same as making the carpool lane a toll road.

24. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The toll roads in the bay area are really nice to have when you need them though. They nickle and dime you like a mofo but you'll save 20 minutes lol.

25. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if the roads were open to everyone like they are supposed to be you would save those 20 mins every day, CA creates the congestion problem by taking one lane + away from the fwy and then they have the balls to charge us and claim they are fixing the problem they created in the first place , hell some toll roads have 2 lanes :mad: