California judge rules early cell phone termination fees illegal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pranavss11, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i personally don't like where this is going. without contract penalties, phone carriers have no incentive to subsidize phones. being a long-term at&t subscriber, i enjoy getting those subsidized phones every other year.

3. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I think this will pretty much screw over customers if all early termination fees are cancelled.

If it forces them to change the price depending on how much time is left, though, then it's beneficial to people canceling near the end of their contracts.

4. pranavss11 thread starter macrumors 6502

i am in california. Must cancel 3G contract and sell on ebay o_O

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

This was posted a few days back, please do a search next time:

Thread Link

I am just surprised that this got ruled that way, the user agreed to the term with their contract, and this is what is really protecting the cell phone companies as to receiving payment that was agreed to. As much as it benefits the consumer, I disagree with this ruling as it hurts the cell phone companies and gives people a way of agreeing to a contract that was put in place to protect both sides, but now the contract isn't really a contract at all if the user can get out of it so easily. I can even see this going to the point where cell phone companies will give you the only option of canceling your contract by paying off the remaining months of service that are unused for full price (which in few cases could help, but if somebody has 2 or 3 months or more left on their contract, then it will hurt the consumer.

6. pranavss11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ahh I tried a search didn't find it. Mods please close this thread sorry!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.