California may ban hunting with lead bullets

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jnpy!$4g3cwk, Sep 14, 2013.

1. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

http://www.sfgate.com/science/article/California-takes-aim-at-hunters-lead-bullets-4813392.php

It is about time. Time to start phasing out lead auto batteries for LiFePO4 batteries also.

2. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

They need to ban hunting for sport while they are at it.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Why should sport hunting be banned?

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Killing for fun is detestable. Kill a deer? You better eat it.

Have no problem with hunting if you're going to eat( or sell) the meat.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Ok, I agree with that. Even though I don't hunt it is very popular here in Colorado.

6. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

AB711 does not mention what materials can be used. Just something other than lead.

So then people in California can make and have jacketed steel bullets... Steel penetrating bullets but you can not have more than 10 in the magazine.

Steel bullets can spark and cause brush fire.

It would be better if the bill stated alloy requirements like 95/5 copper/zinc.

You could couple AB711 with the federal bill designed to ban all armor piercing ammo and then californians are stuck with copper ball muzzle loaders.

7. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

from Hunting with non-lead bullets:

Luckily, alternatives exist that are made of either 100% copper or copper alloys (gilding metal - 95% copper & 5% zinc) that expand similarly to lead-core bullets, but without all the fragmentation. These non-lead bullets give you the stopping power of lead, as the rapid expansion provides the hydrostatic shock needed to give a quick kill. But because they don't break apart, non-lead bullets continue to travel through the target further disrupting tissues and breaking bones adding to the stopping power. In addition, the non-lead bullets typically will pass through the animal leaving an exit wound close to twice the diameter of the entrance wound. This results in greater blood loss and a better blood trail.

Sound like lead bullets really kinda suck

8. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Depends on the application. Jacketed lead goes farther than copper with the same amount of grain due to density/weight. If you can consistently approach your game within 75-125 meters with little wind then copper is great. High wind or Longer distance with wind requires a heavier/denser bullet.

Another factor is cost. Lead is dirt cheap. I would rather shoot 15 lead rounds to zero my sights and use only one copper bullet to get my food than shoot 16 copper rounds. For some people the only meat they get for fall/winter/spring is the deer they get during open season. Sad truth is many people shoot more for food than they do sport and these people probably don't have macrumors.com accounts.

9. jnpy!$4g3cwk, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

jnpy!$4g3cwk thread starter macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Just to be clear, this bill does not affect where existing hunting is allowed one way or the other. It just bans hunting using lead ammunition everywhere. Lead is already restricted in condor territory, as well as for migratory birds (ducks and geese).

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I know. But they should ban hunting for sport too.

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

So hunting for skins/hides/pelts is off the table? :confused:

12. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Are you going to trade them to the colonials?

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

What colonials? What are you going on about?

14. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

What do you do with skins/hides/pelts?

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Alternatively, one can improve their hunting skills to get close enough to make a copper bullet work.

Is the point to improve one's hunting skills?

Or is it just to shoot things?

16. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

They are going to ban the sale of most Semi-automic rifles in CA and make everyone else register theirs.
    The ban on lead bullets is the least of CA gun owners worries at the moment.

17. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

Is everyone in the world who hunts a ninja with sniper skills... Nope. Some people do not have the hours or money to become trained to shoot distances greater than 100 meters with copper. It is easier and cheaper to use lead. The fact is, lead travels farther and with more accuracy than other alloys.

All of the wasted money and practice in the world will not make everyone a member of seal team 6.

The point is to kill what you need to kill with the least amount of expenditure as possible. It is not just to shoot things.

18. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Finally a decent gun law from California!

Great job

19. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Personally? Nothing; I don't hunt.

I do use plenty of leather products, I've owned a deerhide wallet and still have a pair of rabbit fur-lined gloves. Didn't make them myself, and I didn't kill their previous owners, but someone killed those animals for their skins just the same.

Still trying to figure out how "colonials" figure into your point.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You have a higher regard for "hunters" than I do.

I suspect many do simply want to shoot things. The following are excerpts from a testimonial found within the top hits when I Googled "Deer Preserve".

Behold the tale of the mighty, skilled hunter :)rolleyes:) who isn't just out to shoot things ...

21. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

What did they do with the two bucks? Is there video of them later dumping the deer carcass in a ditch, after cutting its head off, and holding it in the air like the predator holding the skull and spine of its kill in the predator movie?

My guess would be that if they didn't prep it and take it home, they took it to a TACAA or other "hunter-harvested" type of program.

The people who do not post videos of killing game far outnumber the Google search results you can post. The only thing that gets posted on the interwebs is stuff that people want to glamorize.

I would sooner watch a show/clip about hunting deer than a show about slaughter houses. Between the two I would choose neither, I would rather watch Breaking Bad.

----------

When you talk about skin/hide/pelt and hunting, I think about the colonials trading furs. Other than that I believe most skin/hide products are farmed and raised. The meat is processed as food and the leftovers either become pink slime or your nice leather wallet in your pocket. Nothing goes to waste.

22. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

This makes my heart dance!

And just when I thought none of your posts would ever bring me joy...

23. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Don't worry, if the Governor signs it the NRA* will take it to the U.S. Supreme Court.

*I accept your troll and raise you an NRA and a "Guns do not kill people".

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'll be the first to report it since I live approx. 15 minutes from the very desk the governor will use to sign that bill into law.

BTW: I'll go out on a limb and predict that that lawsuit will fail, and fail miserably.

BL.