California (may) strike back

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by blackfox, Jan 29, 2017.

1. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...ld-cut-off-feds-in-response-to-trump-threats/

Interesting. While I certainly have an opinion on this potential move (withholding funds that would flow to the Feds to offset Federal funding being cut off by Trump) - I am more interested in whether there is any precedent for a move like this, and what would likely happen if it actually was effected. Would it cause a bad precedent moving forward into future Administrations? What say you?

2. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

They depend more on the Fed than the Fed depends on them. If Jerry Brown wants to play that kind of poker, he's dumber than he looks and sounds.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I don't see how it would even be possible. California would lose more.

4. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

5. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

6. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

Really?! I know it doesn't mention California - it was talking about Donor States - of which California is among the largest. Should I post in crayon?

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Make sure it's non toxic

8. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Post something of substance related to your claim. And don't post something silly like what people pay in federal taxes and gas taxes. California can't withold those because they never touch it.

9. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Moonbeam can posture and protest all he wants. Sooner or later, California will start detaining and deporting illegals.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Yeah I saw that. The name is still quite funny.

12. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Nah...we will just start the revolution and create our own country.

13. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

But the weird part is that they are one of the highest homeless count in the country. So I'd venture to say they are being frugal rather than actually having good financial sense. I'd rather see a state break even but be low on unemployment/homelessness.

How many cities in California are on the high unemployment list here? 13? Yeah some have improved but that's still a lot.

https://www.google.com/amp/247walls...-lowest-unemployment-rates/amp/?client=safari

[​IMG]

The level of homelessness has not decreased in California. There are states where it has, like my state. Texas.

http://www.endhomelessness.org/library/entry/SOH2016

14. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Notice that the states with the highest homelessness actually have high housing prices. Because you know, people actually want to live there and it drives up the cost of housing.

15. Septembersrain, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017

Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Do you see that state helping by using funds for low income housing? No.

Texas is.

See the difference?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Just Google it. Is Los Angeles decreasing or increasing homelessness?
    Is Houston increasing or decreasing homelessness?

I don't want to hear about how everyone wants to live there. Treat your citizens better. Period. You've got a big enough state with plenty of room.
    You're not New York.

16. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'm not sure what you're getting at as to the OP. California is a donor state because they contribute more to the Feds than they receive back from them. How California uses the money it has is not necessarily part of the original topic. Speaking of homelessness (since you brought it up) is this a valid recourse by the feds to try and force Cali's hand on this issue?
    http://www.eastbayexpress.com/Seven...meless-shelters-childcare-many-other-programs

17. zin macrumors 6502

Why does California care more about its illegal population than its native population? What does California gain by providing government services to people who aren't eligible to receive them?

18. blackfox thread starter macrumors 65816

blackfox

As aaronvan posted...perhaps it's only a matter of time before California caves to Federal edict on immigrants...but I look at California - the 6th (or 7th?) largest economy in the world. Agriculture/farming are the leading producers of domestic fruits/vegetables -which tacitly depend on immigrant labor. Technology, construction and Information services are also a huge part of California's economy - which also rely on immigrant participation. It could be an interesting fight...

19. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

LA homeless is actually increasing. We are just finding better ways of "counting" them. Or uncounting ;)

20. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

More than? I wouldn't say that at all. More like an equal emphasis. Agriculture and labor needs plus a historical shared history with our southern neighbor. We do have major cities named things like San Diego, San Francisco, and Los Angeles for a reason. A huge number of cities in California have similar names. Then there is that whole mission thing. Again, a lot of it is shared history and having so many ties influences things.

21. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Bye

22. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

If California seceded they would be annexed by Mexico within a week since resisting that would be racist. ;)

23. zin macrumors 6502

Having a 'shared history' is enough to justify providing services to people who aren't even eligible? Why even have immigration laws at all?

24. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

You don't live here, you don't see the culture, you don't see agricultural needs, thus you will never understand from half a world away. But thanks for weighing in on our own internal matters.