California outlaws large, power-hungry TVs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mscriv, Nov 19, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Link

Wow! How many "powerhungry TV's" do you think the Governator has at his own home? I'm all for "encouraging" companies to make more efficient products, but this seems kinda strict.

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

I'm all for cutting energy waste, but I'm not sure current plasmas are the biggest problem. Personally, I prefer the image on plasma to LCD.

I wonder if the Price is Right prizes will include televisions with "California emissions" in the future.

3. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Seems like a silly methodology to force power savings. If they really want to limit energy use, cap the square footage of houses and dictate max power consumption.

This sounds the end of plasma. Bye bye.

4. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

Normally, I would make some sarcastic yet cool comment such as "What's a television?" but my roommate bought a tv that I occasionally use, so I can't talk :eek:
    Interesting read however :D Perhaps THIS is why the 27 incher supports input?

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What's to stop manufacturers from marketing TVs as computer monitors?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They really are a big source of variance in consumption of electricity. At least when I heard about this on NPR a week or two ago, the TV manufacturer industry seemed fairly comfortable with the timeline. 6.5 TWh is a pretty big savings...

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Why stop there? Why not outlaw cars, clothes dryers, ACs. There are lots of energy hogs that could be banned. This move by California is only the beginning, unfortunately.

8. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

What's to stop someone from buying a plasma tv in a free state, and bringing it home? Are they going to be doing door-to-door inspections of homes, looking for illegal contraband tvs? That'd go over well...

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Led backlighting is the way to go. Samsungs latest range is stunning. Plasmas are god awful!!

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I'm sure the grow house down in my garage consumes a lot more than some silly plasma TV.

11. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

There is more than a little hypocrisy here with California being the traditional home to cinema and television media development regulating its citizens - by mandated fiat no less - to lower wattage tele screens; all the while, presumably, allowing pool heaters, saunas, and all manner of Hollywood inspired electrica... good move too in a hurting economy to regulate demand! Any doubt while California is facing bankrupty while such lunacy is pervasive is now removed! With the boat taking the lawyers to shark city offshore, add the Goracle's eco-kooks pushing this plasma regulation...

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No one is banning cars here -- just Hummers and Suburbans (by analogy). I'm not so sure that mightn't be a good thing. No one is telling anyone not to watch TV. So you might not get the most perfect black levels in the world, at the cost of not having to build additional power plants... Are we really that selfish?

I wish that the Cali TV regs were actually 50-states -- at least maybe many of the more efficient TVs will migrate to the rest of the country as a result.

Also as someone mentioned above, this will probably hasten the availability of more LED backlit TVs...

13. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Who drives innovation? Luddites? The people who believe the moon landing was fake?

Corporations are like everyone else, they need continual urging to better themselves. If they don't get it, they become bloated and greedy. Detroit is a case in point. Had they been forced to up their mileage, they might not be extinct. The same goes with the electronics industry.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sorry, I view it as an intrusion by the Green police. And it is only going to get worse.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm on the fence here. On the one hand, I definitely see what you're saying. On the other, California definitely has very real energy problems. I can see the need for drawing lines. But if lines need to be drawn, why are they singling out TVs? That's what makes no sense.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I agree. We need smaller government. Before you now it, we'll have laws that tell you how many times you can wipe your ass as too much toilet paper is being used. :rolleyes:

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

First light bulbs, now TVs, what is next? Clothes dryers, air conditioners, ovens, etc.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I think you have a point- TVs should not be singled out. They should be applying energy standards to all electronics and appliances. There's nothing wrong with that. The problem I have is singling out one particular thing. However, CA may have standards for all of those things already. I'm not sure.

19. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Most waste is on the industrial/manufacturing end, not the consumer end. Reigning in the wastefulness of new construction and manufacturing would be significantly more effective.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well, I'd say if it has a tuner in it, it's a TV, right?

Damn straight! :)

Is there any other kind of regulation other than by "mandated fiat"? Talk about your over-revved hyperbole... :rolleyes:

Damn straight it is. The Waste and Consumption Police have had their shot at things for far too long...

Gotta start somewhere, right? I think if you'll bother to check, California has "by mandated fiat, no less" regulated quite a few other items besides TVs.

Yes. Anything that wastes energy or consumes an excessive amount of energy will be looked at.

Why do you continually demand efficiency from government, but not from industry?

21. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Here is the next step. It starts off as "We will only do this in emergencies" but eventually it will morph into "We have mandated the temperature that you are allowed to keep your house at."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/11/us/11control.html

22. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Now that I have a huge problem with. That is absolutely not OK.

23. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

You can get LCDs with sub 100 Watt usage. A plasma is like running a Halogen Heater on full the whole time it's on.

Local officials should come round like SAS/SWAT guys, batter down the door, smash the TV in front of the owner, take it outside, cover it in petrol, set it on fire, put it out by dousing the flames with Budweiser because it tastes like pee, give the owner of the TV a discount card for 80% off an LCD, follow them to the shop when they're buying their new LCD and if it's not one of the newer lower powered models, railgun them in the head.

Problem solved :D

(I was quite bored at work today and very angry about being woken up at 6.40am by a noisy neighbour, can you tell?)

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

LOL... conservatives are so funny! You didn't give a rats ass that the previous administration had declared the power to keep you -- yes you, if necessary -- in indefinite detention under conditions approaching torture. Only in emergencies, mind you. Which of course, would have morphed into "we have mandated who is allowed to be free and who isn't".

You were perfectly OK with that level of potential government intrusion into your life, yet THIS is what freaks you and people like you out. That there's a rumor that the badnasty gummint might regulate your temperature.

Weird priorities, man...

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I, on the other hand, am not OK with either.