California politician arrested

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 14, 2018.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/cal...ed-spanking-daughter-something-232402437.html

either the parent disciplines the children or the cops do when they grow up w/o knowing there are consequences to their actions...

2. Solver, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

Solver macrumors 6502a

The little girl must have done something that offended someone. Her parents should have pounded on her door, harrassed her, not let her speak, hit her low, smashed her toys and burned her clothes. Then, called her a Nazi. That would have sent a strong message to all children.
    /s

3. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I know times are different, but spanking isn’t something that was this controversial 20 years ago. I got them as punishments sometimes, but that doesn’t mean I had bad parents or anything.

4. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

the message that kids will get out of this is they can put their parents in jail for discipline. a spanking will not leave marks so it can be your word vs theirs

5. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Is this really against California law? I thought spanking was still considered legal. I can tell you, it kept me in line and on my best behavior. It is actually more cruel not to spank. I am very thankful to my parents for doing so.

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

The police said the girl was injured, and it wasn't where the assemblyman publicly claimed to have spanked her:

https://www.fresnobee.com/news/poli...logs/political-notebook/article223079675.html

7. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Found this...

It looks like it is legal to spank in California.

"In California, spanking is legal, but must fall within a range of what is considered “reasonable discipline.” If you are a parent who uses spanking as a form of punishment, it is important for you to know when you have crossed the line between spanking and child abuse."

8. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

9. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

With child privacy laws, we may never actually know.

10. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

We've become WAY too PC on this. I get it if you're actually beating your kids but a good solid spanking when you've asked for it was (and still is) warranted. Democrats or Republicans alike, we should all have a right to handle our own kids within reason.

11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

No, the state knows best how to discipline your children. He's a Democratic Assemblyman in California, he should definitely know this.

12. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Ah crap, I just realized special snowflakes are going to have kids too. With any luck North Korea will drop a bomb on my house before I have to witness that.

13. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

If the kid is one that would have benefited from that kind of punishment, sure. There isn't one parenting or discipline style that works for all children, despite what most people seem to think. I was never spanked. I don't think I'm a delinquent loser with no future because I didn't get my butt whacked. :confused:

But anyway, there is obviously more to this story, as always. I don't buy for a minute the way it's being sold here, that he was "arrested for spanking" as spanking is not against the law.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Picture of your criminal history or it didn't happen.... ;)

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I got spanked as a child, an yeah I behaved because I didn’t want that wooden spoon whacking my bare bottom.

Never had to spank my daughter. Just look at her sideways and she started bawling. My son on the other hand has a stubborn streak a mile wide and was spanked.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

... and yet you ended up being a PRSI user !!!! :eek::eek: ;)

17. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

He's a democrat so Trump won't issue a pardon....

18. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

bet the arrest and hypothetical imprisonment (and child separation) is way more damaging for her than a little spanking.

19. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

trump can't issue pardons on state crimes IIRC.........

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well, no one is perfect.

21. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Aww. Sounds like me. If I even thought someone was mad at me, I'd start crying :(

Every kid's different. That's why I can't support any kind of blanket ban on a form of discipline, as long as it's not abusive.

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

They have been for years, but, at the same time, so have liberal-types.

23. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

My mother should have 50 life sentences. :p

Seriously, this is stupid. People are lacking sense more and more each year. It should be a no-brainer to tell the difference between a spanking vs abuse.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2018 ---

You suffered the wooden spoon that hung on the wall too? LOL

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

There are spankings and there are spankings.

I can see giving a kid a good swat on his/her bottom. It's the ones where a parent winds up like a baseball pitcher and propels the kid five feet forward that concern me. If it was the former, the kid probably deserved what he/she got. If it was the latter, then the parent deserves whatever they get.