California politician arrested

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

My mother got one of those wooden things that are used to pull a loaf of bread out of the oven. To me it looked like a canoe paddle. It gave her a really good swing – at least she always used the flat rather than the edge.

2. Tech198 macrumors G5

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It doesn’t sound like this was a spanking to me...

4. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

This was precipitated by an injury that was reported and confirmed at school the next day, which certainly suggests more than just a spanking. I’ll wait to see what additional information comes out, but I think that all of the arguments about California overreacting to a simple spanking are not supported by what we know so far.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

We don’t always get the full story.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

When it comes to child abuse that seems fair enough to be fair.

I do agree that that makes it difficult to make sure child services are doing their job properly.

7. Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

This 100% right here.

8. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

watching the birth of the Dem Communist Party
    Address? I have connections. :cool:
    --- Post Merged, Dec 16, 2018 ---
    State crime.
    Brown or Newsom just might.

9. ronntaylor macrumors regular

ronntaylor

Teacher had an obligation to report if there was a noticeable injury after the complaint from a child. Nowadays it's often a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. I'd rather teachers report and there's a finding of no harm than the opposite case where there is no reporting and it leads to severe harm or even death.

The Police Chief should be disciplined for his comments as they're prejudicial and outside the bounds of fairness to the father.

10. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

That is always the danger, report it as you should and watch the situation go totally out of control and destroy someone's life before any serious LEO assessment can be done. Don't report it and watch the teachers life get blown up.

Wish we had a better way to handle these.

11. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I did not know that.

It makes sense State vs. Federal but I thought a Presidential Pardon worked at any/all levels.

12. JagdTiger macrumors 6502

JagdTiger

It’s legal in any s&m club across America.

13. raqball macrumors 68000

Ppfftt... I use to get my rear end paddled because I pissed off the penguins... Side note: Don't call a Nun a penguin...

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Geez, wooden spoon, funny. My mom had a thing meant for taking bread out of the oven. To me, it look like something you would propel a canoe with.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

...but you make a sensationalist post about it and draw careless conclusions anyway.

16. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if I don't fly off the handle and jump to conclusions that suit ME then I will never get exercise my friend...........

17. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502a

Bug-Creator

And that everything but the lowest shelf is out of your reach explains a lot.

18. Sydde, Apr 20, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  19. lostngone macrumors 65816

lostngone

I laughed at my mother once when the wooden spoon broke... Bad idea! It was quickly replaced with a metal spatula...

20. sean000 macrumors 68000

sean000

My parents never laid a hand on me. What they made me do was talk, think, and talk some more. There would usually be some punishment to fit the crime. If there was some way for me to make it right.. that would be involved, even for minor infractions as a young child. Apology notes to anyone I had wronged were always part of it. They didn’t let me drop it until they felt I completely understood the error of my ways, showed remorse, and made up for it. There were many times I would have traded it for a spanking. My parents’ attitude was that spanking was taking the easy way out a parenting opportunity.

I did get spanked by a friend’s dad once. That was my first introduction to “house rules.” My parents were fine with it because it sounded reasonable and as a visitor I had to learn to abide by the house rules or pay the house price. Now if I had been physically abused and came home traumatized and badly bruised it would have been another story. This was in the 1970’s so my parents were probably in the minority when it came to not spanking.

21. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Paddle. With or without holes in it?
    Our school coach had one back in the day and it was ... ouch :confused:

22. Zenithal macrumors G3

He should have invited his mother in law to do it with a sandal. @jkcerda Can attest to this method having it done on him as a child.

23. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Hell, my mother hit me upside the head with a lamp when I didn't move my feet when she was dusting the end table. Guess where my feet weren't the next time she dusted the living room.

24. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

You need to get out more, maybe take up USPSA Multigun? Get your cordite and cardio at the same time. :D

I got spanked as a child... not that often as it taught me to be sneakier the next time. But what this guy did sounds a bit more than some whacks on the butt.

25. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

12 hour work days 5 days + some weekends doing a few hours leaves very little time for family, let alone hobbies :(