California raises legal age to buy tobacco to 21

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, May 5, 2016.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

at 20:31 on May 04, 2016, EDT.

The Latest: California raises legal age to buy tobacco to 21

Alison Noon, The Associated Press

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - The Latest on a California bill to raise the minimum age to purchase tobacco (all times local):

5:15 p.m.

The governor of California has raised the legal age to buy tobacco for smoking, dipping, chewing and vaping from 18 to 21.

Democratic Gov. Jerry Brown announced Wednesday he signed a bill calling for the change.

Supporters of the law aimed to deter adolescents from the harmful, sometimes fatal effects of nicotine addiction. The Institute of Medicine reports 90 per cent of daily smokers began using tobacco before turning 19.

Veterans organizations and Republican lawmakers in California objected to the bill, saying people old enough to die for their country are old enough to use tobacco.

Hawaii officials decided last April to become the first state in the nation to increase its legal smoking age to 21.

More than 100 local jurisdictions around the country have made the change, including New York, Chicago and San Francisco.

___

9:30 a.m.

Gov. Jerry Brown faces a midnight deadline to act on six bills to restrict tobacco use in California, including a bill to raise the minimum age to buy cigarettes to 21.

Brown must sign, veto or return the bills to the Legislature Wednesday, or they automatically become law on Thursday.

The Democratic governor has not commented on the package of tobacco proposals.

Other bills would regulate electronic cigarettes, allow local tobacco taxes, establish annual tobacco license fees and push for all charter schools to be tobacco free. One would expand tobacco-free workplaces to include small businesses, break rooms and hotel lobbies.

Democratic lawmakers passed the proposals almost two months ago. Legislative leaders waited to send them to Brown because of political threats from tobacco companies to overturn them.

Sorry Hipsters

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

3. mojolicious, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016

mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Combined with the recent Australian announcement of annual increases in taxation that will take the cost of a packet of 25 cigarettes to AUD 45 (USD 33 / GDP 23) by 2020, it really does look at though tobacco is doomed in the developed world.

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

The last I'd read, hipsters don't smoke cigarettes. Punks might, though that's not doing them any good in doing so.

Hipsters just smoke other things, some of which are illegal.

I wonder how many state budgets are built upon cigarette taxes... in a free market society, Brown might be cutting off the nose to spite the face.
    --- Post Merged, May 5, 2016 ---
    Phew. Thanks for developing countries that even the most liberal and environmentally-aware companies use, though it's just as sad that most of those countries already have enough smog and air pollution problems because they didn't want to regulate their industry, will be eager to puff cigarettes so they can feel even more free...

5. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

Take a drive into Las Vegas from either direction and look at the smog sitting over the city. People have been using tobacco for thousands of years starting at very early ages I'm sure. 18 is just fine though I am not a smoker myself. And though I am not in the know, I'm sure that the garbage added into tobacco kills more then the tobacco itself.
    Just my own thoughts.