California signs deal with China to combat climate change

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by RootBeerMan, Jun 6, 2017.

1. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

And this is the way it is supposed to be. No doubt Trump will lose what little mind he has over it, but it's completely within the bounds of the Constitution for the states to take matters into their own hands when the federal government fails to act in their best interests. While the agreement is non-binding (boooo!) it is definitely a step in the right direction. Since California is one the worlds biggest economies they stand to gain from it, and take a place on the world stage.

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...igns-deal-with-china-to-combat-climate-change

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

as long as we are NOT PAYING into a SCAM have at it.

3. RootBeerMan thread starter macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Doesn't look as if any money, other than normal economy, is changing any hands.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You'll be paying for Moonbeams and his lackeys vacations to China.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

we are going to be paying for universal HC here it seems . well over double our GDP so hard to say how that is going to work out.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Ænema ?

7. citizenzen, Jun 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

citizenzen macrumors 65816

OMG. Governor Brown is trolling trump sooo hard.

[​IMG]

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

China is going to play along, much of their work comes out of the state and they want more business.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Nice! Power to the states. Good thing. The Feds weren't needed then.

10. Zenithal macrumors 601

I hope to see Texas following California's footsteps. Texas may be behind the times, but they're slowly growing to become a tech centric state, too. Investing in solar for dry arid states should be crucial. The states can benefit from that harnessed energy by selling excess off.

11. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I'm still waiting for California to sign a deal with Caltrans to fix the damn roads and congestion, but I guess I'm on the wrong side of history on this one.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If both Texas and California go for something the rest of the country will follow if they like it or not because of the size of those two markets.

13. darksithpro macrumors regular

Actually this is what should have happened in the first place and more so reflects the sentiments of the WSJ.

14. Zenithal macrumors 601

That was an opinion piece by one of their contributors. Not the WSJ themselves. A bit like some of the far-right contributors the LAT has had in the past. It's not a reflection of the paper.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

China will be sure to roll out the red carpet as they accept job transfers from these states and dump cheap product on their markets in return. Go consumerism.

16. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah - one big Kumbaya. Im *sure* it will be a great deal for the taxpayers of California. Like every other thing they do over there is. Right.

17. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

My response is: good. When the states can't get the feds to do what they want, then they should be able to take action. I'm in favor of giving the states more power so they can do things like this more often.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

States can sign feel good agreements in which they will be taken advantage over, they cannot sign treaties nor should they be able to.

You have to remember China is getting rich off of close to slave labor and human rights abuses. Be careful about how much investment they do in your state because they could lobby too if they get a big enough footing.

Maybe the Californians can get China to actually allow their people access to the Internet.

19. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Meh, I think they should be able to sign treaties and deals with foreign nations. Feds can step in if it's something crazy, but I prefer more autonomy at the state level. What works for Californians doesn't necessarily work for New Yorkers. If the feds want to be morons and reject climate change or something, that doesn't mean California shouldn't partner with the rest of the world to do something about it. I don't think we should let anti-science people hold the rest of us back.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They didn't reject climate change, all signs point to the US continuing reduction of CO2, this is a talking point the liberals use. If emissions go up next year give me a call.

This is about a terrible deal that would commit the US to economic suicide while China waits by the wayside while the US pays billions to developing nations. The world should have held out on this deal until the world's leading polluter put some skin in.

21. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

Nah. The Trump and Republican brigade by and large rejects climate change, Paris Climate Deal notwithstanding. The reason emissions have been going down is because the last 8 years we've actually tried to do something about emissions.

Idc about the Paris climate deal really. I think one thing that needs to be considered is, the developing world essentially has us held hostage. If we don't find a way to effectively stop them from overpopulating and polluting, and we don't find a way for them to build sustainable governments within their own countries, we're going to be really screwed.