California State Budget Propositions

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chrmjenkins, Apr 11, 2009.

1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I received my state budget pamphlet in the mail today detailing California's 6 propositions that will help close the current and future budget deficits for California.

I was curious what people's thoughts were on these issues.

Right now, I'm thinking yes on 1a, 1b, 1c, and 1f, with no on the other two.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Just got mine as well, but I still haven't decided. Right now, I'm leaning towards yes on most if not all, unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I still need to do more research though.

3. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Haven't gotten mine yet. But,----

Voting No on 1A, 1B, 1D and 1E. Yes on 1F and SCA 4.
    Not sure about 1C. May change my mind before election day on some.

4. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I have a problem with doing the Legislature's job for it. Our tax dollars pay these people to legislate, and yet, they seem to perennially fail at some very simple tasks. Now of course the budget has an absurd 2/3 requirement which I understand has led to many of these problems, but if the solution is to have voters vote on budget matters (and hence bypass the 2/3 rule), I view that as extraconstitutional.

The real solution is to change the 2/3 budget requirement and employ a simple majority like every other sensible legislature does. Until the time comes when that solution is on the table, I'm hesitant to legitimize an end-run around the California Constitution (however little it's worth these days) and do the Legislature's job for it.

5. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Looking through the proposals, it looks like a reprise of "Califormia Dreaming". The state is in trouble due to excessive spending, and there is too much dependency upon state funding of daily living--which makes spending cuts very much politically unpopular.

http://www.mercurynews.com/opinion/ci_12121798

"In cobbling together a precariously balanced 17-month budget in February, the Legislature raised taxes and made other decisions subject to voters' approval of six constitutional amendments. As it turns out, passing Propositions 1A through 1F won't solve everything. Legislators are still headed for another knock-down, drag-out fight this summer, since revenues have further deteriorated and the budget is now projected to be $8 billion in the red.

But if all or most of the initiatives fail, Californians will face a more massive deficit — at a minimum $18 billion next year, more in 2011 — and fiscal chaos."

The original deficit figure of $40 billion or so was predicated on a total budget of $142 billion, IIRC. It's already obvious that the idea of revenues of $100 billion is a pipedream; won't come anywhere near reality.

Odds are, tax increases will exacerbate the existing movement out of high-tax states to lower-tax states. That idea is spreading across the country, for both individuals and businesses.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Even a reduction of the threshold from 2/3 down to 55% would be acceptable. It's also about time to exempt businesses from Prop 13.

I know there's a lot of mouth music out there about businesses avoiding California because of the high taxes, but let's face it: California is important enough that people will find a way to make it here if they so choose. And if your loyalty is only to the lowest taxation rate rather than to your community, don't let the border gate hit your ass on the way out...

Frankly, I've not seen any evidence that California's tax rates have noticeably reduced business. Lots of noise about it (much like Lord Limbaugh's much-publicized exodus from New York) by some high-profile tantrum-throwers, but little else.