California sues to block Trump administration

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, May 21, 2019.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. benshive macrumors regular

Good. Our public transportation system is terrible compared to the rest of the first world.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

While I might agree with the sentiment (although stuff like population density etc are important variables) even the governor that is suing the Admin said that the project is going to be late, more expensive than thought, and even incomplete.

4. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

... so par for the course for any government infrastructure contracts? :D

In Toronto there's been an outstanding and terribly political back and forth about our public transit system. Sometimes you got to tell politicians to take a back seat and let metrics make the decisions.

5. benshive macrumors regular

Yeah, I've heard that. But I have to imagine that there's a chance the railway that will result will still have been a better use of the money than whatever else it'll be wasted on. Not sure.

6. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I support public transportation - at least ideologically - and I do agree that it's a mess. I simply think that in the US there are many problems to provide for reliable public transportation, and cheap gas with higher than anywhere else in the world personal earnings (on avg at least) has something to do with it. Ultimately I probably spend less in driving my car for many years than paying for public transportation through local and state taxes + tickets etc....

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

nothing is being built, on top of that rail service is expensive and sucks, rail + bus to my daughters college about 4 hours and over 300
    at 364 might as well do the car payment and save 2.5 hours from the commute.

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I don't know. I glanced at San Francisco's City and County budget; SF is famous for its public transportation.

here you have problem #1
    • Total expenditures are projected to grow by $1,408.3 million over the next five years, which represents an increase of 29%.
    • In contrast to expenditure growth, available General Fund sources are projected to increase by $559.9 million over the same period, an overall growth of 11%. As required by the Charter, the City will need to implement strategies to close the gap between sources and uses over the five-year time period
    • Five-Year Financial Plan shows that the cost of city services is projected to outpace revenue growth during the five-year period. If the City does not take corrective action, the gap between revenues and expenditures will rise from $119.0 million to approximately $848.4 million from Fiscal Year (FY) 2017-18 to FY 2021-22
    here is problem #2:
    • 37% of the total budget expenditures is Public Transportation and Public Works
    • Municipal Transportation Agency is in the red for several millions.
    • The funding for public transportation will come from Gas taxes (about $40M/yr, not enough to cover expenses)

9. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

sitting on a beach watching a DC simulation ...
    This was another typical California plan that lacked in planning and transparency. Instead of listening to and taking advice from other entities that have built these, Cali had to do it "their way". :oops:

Decent concept. Crappy execution.