California takes first step to establishing lane-splitting guidelines for motorcyclists

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Aug 4, 2016.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.latimes.com/politics/ess...lish-lane-splitting-1470328822-htmlstory.html
    what say you cagers, are you going to freak out? what are the laws of your state concerning lane splitting? glad this democrat has common sense unlike the other moron I debated :D

2. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I'm okay with it, as long as riders also understand that just because they can lane share, doesn't mean autos can't change lanes.

Can't tell you how many times in rush hour traffic I have had to make a slow long lane change due to speeds just to get yelled at by some biker flying up the lanes and has to slow down because how dare I not just drive straight in the same lane all the time.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

FYI: California is the only state with lane-splitting laws for motorcycles.

Personally, I don't see how it increases safety. If a driver checks his mirrors and blind spots, sees no obstacles, and signals a lane change, then up comes a motorcycle who gets injured while lane splitting and hits the driver changing lanes, by these rules, the driver is at fault.. That puts more onus on the driver to have to be careful while the motorcyclist has leave to be more reckless.

Though it does make me laugh when said motorcyclist crosses the state line into Nevada, tries lane splitting, and gets fined heavily for it.

BL.

4. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Same goes for bicyclists. Doesn't matter how correct you are when your opponet is a 2,000lb car.

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

By these laws, should they be signed, the cyclist would be correct, regardless. That's the problem.

BL.

6. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Can't stand motorbikes.

In an ideal world, they wouldn't exist.

7. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Maybe you missed what I was hinting at. You have a car 2,000ish pounds. You can be correct via the law all day long as a cyclists, that doesn't matter too much when the fire department is hosing of what used to be you off the road because you were in a blind spot of a car that decided to change lanes.

8. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Very true, and I agree with that.. but it would matter if you as the driver would be responsible for that cyclists funeral and hospital bills, as the cyclist's "mistake" would leave you legally and financially responsible.

Again, silly law, and does lack some common sense here, especially regarding how the other 49 states have no such laws for this.

9. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

If they want to generate more organ donors, so be it.

10. chown33 macrumors 604

Obviously. In an ideal world we'd just teleport anywhere.

11. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I don't think lane splitting is an issue in stopped traffic. Doing it the highway (let's say in 40mph dense traffic), speeding by at 65mph I don't agree with. People don't expect it, people change lanes, it just seems dangerous to me- for both motorcyclists and drivers.

Motorcyclists who wish to do this should just go to the west side highway in NYC where gangs of motorcyclists remove their license plates and fly 120mph down the highway weaving in and out of traffic. If I remember correctly, the police has decided not to engage these bikers for safety reasons. So it's pretty much fair game.

12. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

A big long but some of you cagers might get it

13. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Lane splitting is legal here and I've not heard any horror stories..

14. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

I absolutely think it increases safety, but only by making the morons who don't already do these things, responsible for not riding safely. I lane split daily during my commute in San Diego, but only going about 10 miles an hour faster than traffic, and only up to about 40mph. These rules will hopefully curtail the idiots who fly through traffic with wanton disregard for safety.

The other very important part of what you said, is signals a lane change. FAR few too many drivers in Southern California signal lane changes, and this absolutely makes lane splitting more dangerous. I got fed up enough a few years ago that I made a sign to put on my backpack when riding:

[​IMG]

I'm sure it doesn't do any good, but at least it makes me feel a little better ;)

15. jkcerda, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

many are out of blinker fluid so they can't use it :p
    anyways, what you riding peaches? I am considering a Vulcan 650 S as my first bike

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Fair enough.

But also to counter that, I did pass a semi the other day, and on the back of its trailer, it had this nice little sticker (wish I could have taken a picture of it, but I was driving):

I see motorcycles trying to zip around cars like that who have indicated their intent, because they don't want to be slowed down or have them in their way. The onus is on them to realize that and ride safely and defensively, not recklessly.

BL.

17. anonymouslurker, Aug 5, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2016

anonymouslurker macrumors regular

I absolutely agree, and those motorcycle riders are well on their way to being organ donors.

Given that proper turn signal sightings can be on par with that of a unicorn, I give them the gravity they deserve.

Whenever I'm riding, my mindset is "what can this person do next, which will kill me."

Buell XB9SX
    [​IMG]

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So let me ask this. Should a motorcyclist do that, and results in them being injured, thanks to lane splitting, they would not be at fault, as it is the driver of the car or truck that would be at fault because the motorcyclists can lane split. Is that fair or safe?

BL.

19. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

It would be exactly the same as if another car hit the car that was changing lanes.
    There is no special language in AB51 to specify responsibility.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Key point from the video - most dangerous thing on a bike is being rear ended. Lane splitting stops that happening so is safer.

21. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

yes, as long as they are not lane splitting above 50 mpg things are good. glad they can use the carpool lane here.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Aren't they very convenient in urban settings?

23. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

the biker was right. going sideways gets you nowhere, you know.

24. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

"It's just how motorcycles operate"

"boys will be boys"

"companies can regulate themselves because they are more ethical"

etc :D

Still, that video with all the buxom blondes should have been told in a format similar to the whiz-bang super freakin' style of this:

(sorry for the tangent, we all know what's in that video wouldn't withstand real life conditions, but the format of the video is what grabs and clings attention...)

25. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

Except to my exit.